Field Hockey Player Gianna Conte is D1 Bound

Gianna Conte protects the ball against an Ipswich defender in the Triton field hockey team’s state tournament game, which they won 5-0. Conte scored once.

Sofia DeSimone, Staff Writer

For many high school student athletes, the sports that they love come to an end at the close of their senior season. However, this is not the case for those student athletes who have the skill level to play at the collegiate level.

Among those talented athletes is Gianna Conte, a sophomore who just finished her second year starting on the Triton field hockey team and was named a Cape Anne League first team all star for her achievements. Her coach, Mrs. Donna Andersen, described her as “a very exciting player to watch on the field” when asked to reflect on Conte’s sophomore season. 

From field hockey to lacrosse, to music and TV shows, Gianna Conte sat down with The Voice to share more about her life.

The Voice: How old are you?

Conte: I’m fifteen years old.

TV: What sports do you play?

C: I play field hockey in the fall, ice hockey in the winter, and lacrosse in the spring. I also play for the Seacoast United club field hockey team year round.

TV: When did you start playing field hockey?

C: I began doing intramurals in elementary school. I wasn’t really serious about the sport until seventh grade, when I joined the middle school team.

TV: When did you decide that you wanted to play in college?

C: This past fall, (Varsity Field Hockey Coach Donna Andersen) had a talk with me and told me that I could play at the division one level. That was when I realized that I was going to be able to playing in college.

TV: What is your dream school?

C: My dream school is the University of New Hampshire.

TV: Where else are you looking?

C: University of Massachusetts, Lowell.

TV: Tell us a little bit about the college recruitment process.

C: The recruitment process is a lot of work because you constantly have to be updating coaches and seeing if you can meet up and talk to them and try to find an opportunity where they can watch you play. Also, there are time periods where coaches cannot have any contact with you at all. You can’t even visit them at the college, which is tough because you can’t get in touch with them.

TV: Who is your biggest athletic influence?

C: My dad.

TV: Why?

C: My dad is my biggest athletic influence because he had a good hockey career. He has always been my number one supporter in sports. For hockey, he played at Fitchburg College and played for the UHL, which is two levels under the NHL.

TV: How did the team do this season?

C: This year, no one was really sure on how the team would do and how far we would go, and we ended up one point away from the CAL title. We made it to the semifinals and lost 2-1. I had 17 goals and around 12 assists.

TV: How many hours do you spend playing field hockey a week?

C: During the field hockey season, I spend about 9 hours playing per week.

TV: What is your favorite memory from high school field hockey so far?

C: Definitely the bus rides with my team.

TV: Outside of sports, what do you like to do in your free time?

C: In my free time, I like to hang out with my friends.

TV: Favorite TV show?

C: Shameless

TV: Favorite song?

C: “Motorsport”