Welcoming A New Teacher Into the Triton District

Caitlyn Chaisson and Erica Lops

Welcoming A New Member to the Triton District

Caitlyn Chaisson, Erica Lops

Staff Writers

New instructional aid at Rowley Elementary School Dyann Guarino was able to take advantage of becoming a teacher’s aid that satisfied two joys for her. One being able to see her daughter more often and also working with kids.

Guarino is a Rowley resident and has previously worked in Peabody as a hairdresser for three years and a Home Depot employee for 20 years. The only problem here is that she never got to see her daughter, a student who attends Pine Grove Elementary school here in Rowley.

“When she was a kindergartner she told me that I was missing a lot of stuff because I was working so much, so I decided to work part time at the school,” Guarino said.

This was Guarino’s motivation to become involved in the school district, she started as a cafeteria worker for two years at Pine Grove. This year, she has become a classroom aid for third grade.

“Now I’m available to see all the stuff going on at the school and not missing it and seeing her more,” Guarino said adding that she was happy with her transition to her new position.

Guarino did not expect to be a teacher. She took the basic high school courses and did not attend college.

“If you had asked me what I saw myself doing when I grow up, I never thought that I would be in the school system, nevermind in the classroom.”

One of our former Triton IA’s, Mrs. Trina Knowles, tells us the specifics for being an instructional assistant. During a day-to-day basis, Knowles gives us some ideas if what an IA does. Knowles is now a special ed. teacher.

“We make sure the students are organized with the assignments. We check in with the students every once in awhile to make sure they’re on the right track or need any help.” said Knowles.

Knowles told us some of the criteria needed to become an IA. “Be sure to know the job description and what you’ll be focusing on before you start assisting.”

Guarino plans to move up to Triton Middle School and Triton High School as her daughter grows in age.

Although she never saw herself working with kids, Guarino has found what she was looking for in a job.

“This is the one thing that I love out of all the things I’ve done.” She said “This is the one thing that I love the most that I am completely happy doing.”