The Loss of a Viking Head Coach

Dave Clay, former Boys Basketball coach leaves to skipper the Newburyport squad; replacement is Andover coach EJ Perry

Dave Clay coaches the Vikings from sideline

Steve Baiardi, Staff Writer

During his seven-year career at Triton, “Coach Clay has set up a foundation for the basketball program to build off of, ” says Triton Athletic Director Sean McInnis

“Going back to times when Coach Smith [Varsity Basketball coach from 1985 to 2001] was here, they had the program really clicking on all cylinders, and then we had a little lapse during the middle, but Coach Clay brought stability, a foundation and leadership to the program.”

However, late this summer, Clay decided to leave the position of head coach at Triton for an opportunity to coach at Newburyport. The athletic department has named former Andover High School Coach EJ Perry as Clay’s replacement. Clay, a math teacher at Newburyport High, felt as though it was a good choice because he wants to “be in the building with the kids, not just seeing them at basketball, but seeing them in the hallway and at lunch.”

Most notably in Clay’s career, was last year’s history making season: The Vikings went 15-8 and ended the season with a second round tournament rivalry game against Newburyport where the Vikings lost by two points (59-57). It was the first time in sixteen years that the Vikings had captured a state tournament spot, and the first time ever that the team had won a tournament game. “It was amazing” stated Clay in a recent interview, “Not just because we won, but because everything was by far the most fun I’ve ever had coaching.”

Clay’s decision to leave Triton was announced to the community via twitter on September 1st. A committee including parents, student-athletes, other head coaches, the athletic director, and the high school principal eventually agreed on selecting Perry.

“Anytime you lose somebody like Coach Clay, there’s an affect,” said McInnis. “I think how it affects everybody will be different, but he has left his mark here on this community,” said McInnis.

Clay said he is grateful for his time at Triton.

“I’d like to let them [the Triton basketball team] know that player-lead teams usually go a lot further that coach-lead teams,” said Clay. “If the players can lead on their own and hold eachother accountable, they’re gonna have a great year… Triton basketball is gonna do fine… There’s nothing I did that no other coach won’t, it takes a total team effort”.