Dr. Who?

Gigandet Photo

Dr. Lothrop in his classroom.

This year we got to see a handful of new faces in high school classrooms and one of them is Dr. Adam Lothrop. Maybe it was a study, or you saw him in the hall, but he is the high school’s new science teacher. 

Lothrop says he loves teaching kids about science. 

“To make sure everybody has fun, get interested into science, and do well academically.”, said Dr. Lothrop when asked, “Why teach science?”

Lower classman will have the chance to get to know a little more about this man, and upperclassmen won’t have him since he only teaches biology and chemistry. You might  want to be able to know more about this new teacher if they have him as a study or see him in the hall. He also has a “Doctor” in his name, that is because he has a PhD in Biochemistry.

Dr. Lothrop went to school at St. Michael’s College for his undergraduate and got his PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Vermont. And he also did a postdoctoral at Tufts.

Lothrop says that the freshmen and sophomores he teaches in class are really inquisitive and that they like learning and like asking tons of questions. He says he has a pretty good relationship with his classes.

Triton has an expansive range of extracurricular activities. Doctor Lothrop says  “Everything that you could possibly want to do is right here.”

Why did Dr. Lothrop become a teacher? Well when he was in the lab and all set to become a professor, he realized he liked working with the students a lot more and that led to him choosing teaching and helping people learn rather than “to sit behind a desk writing grants.”

His goals for the school year are getting everybody interested in science and to get students to enjoy learning it, and also to get people to do well academically. He wants to get to know everybody a whole lot better so he can become a member of our Triton community.

So far Dr. Lothrop really likes the school. He says that it is a great place to teach. Everyone to him seems super friendly, and he is having a great time teaching science right here at Triton.