Is “2024ThePlot” going to be the new year saying?

After your parents tell you, you are not allowed to hangout with your friends, you decide to sneak out and do it anyway…FOR THE PLOT. 

With the beginning of the new year, there are many new trends that are already all over the internet. One of them being the “2024theplot” trend which has become well known due to the social media app, TikTok.

When asked what are you doing for the plot in 2024, senior at Triton High School, Annie Webb said, “I am going to buy things and do stuff that I was told not to, for the plot this year.” Another senior, Zoe Rivera said, “This year I will be shopping and spending money for the plot.” Rowan Cole who is a junior at Triton said, “This year I will be more upfront and confrontational with people if I need to.”

The “2024ThePlot” trend has become known on TikTok due to the new 2024 year. You may have heard the saying, “Do it for the plot!” This trend is where you become the “main character” and enhance your life by doing things you wouldn’t usually do. “2024ThePlot” has become the new “Yolo” for the Gen Z generation. Doing something for the plot of your life allows you to tell people you went out of your comfort zone and doing something interesting just to say you did it. 

Ms. Dempsey, a teacher at Triton said, “I kind of feel like this trend can be motivating because sometimes when I want to say no to things for no reason, I feel like if you have the vibe that you want to do it for the story then that could entice you to say yes instead of no. So I feel like this could be motivating to make you do something you wouldn’t normally want to do.” 

On the other hand, Senior at Triton, Gia Sico has a different opinion on this trend, “I think the “2024ThePlot” trend is silly. It’s just another play on words and it’s not different from any other year. I think people’s actions will remain relatively the same because people do things for the plot everyday so it is not that exciting.”

The “2024ThePlot” trend could become confrontational when it comes to people doing something before fully thinking it out. Many people have mixed feelings about this new trend and think it could spark some bad habits or negative outcomes.