Expenses of Prom

Students discuss their biggest issues regarding prom

Bowen photo

The ticket to a memorable night: Junior prom is an expensive affair, not including tickets, but also including that all student debts must be paid in order for students to attend.

With prom just around the corner, the time has come to beg the question whether prom is worth its extreme costs.

Before a student can even think about attending prom, each has to pay the school for any outstanding costs.. This includes class dues, lunch debt, any missing library books, and sports funds. On top of these expenses, each student going to prom still has to pay for the items and accessories needed for prom.

The joint costs for the required expenses, as well as the cost of clothes and accessories, is far too much for the average high schooler to pay. Once in junior year, if past class dues have not been paid, students will have to pay $170 to the school. Additionally, if any other past expenses were not paid, students will have to pay all debts before being able to go to prom.  

Junior, Bridget Tucker, spoke on this matter, when asked if she thought the expenses were unreasonable, “I wouldnt say its unreasonable except for the fact that they treat everyone like garbage. See, if we were allowed to have more privileges at prom I’d be totally supportive of that cost, but they treat prom a bit like a prison.” Students attending prom aren’t allowed to bring any bags, wallets, makeup, or any other belongings. “Money to me in my circumstances, that’s not the worst thing, it’s the inconvenience of it. It is not the biggest problem but it is definitely a factor.”

Not every student can afford the expenses of prom, and prom is one of the big memories people take away from high school.

“Everyone has the right to their high school prom.” Tucker said. Although events like prom tend to cost a sufficient amount of money, all students deserve the opportunity to be able to go, have fun, and make memories.

“Prom is a school event, so I feel like the school should kind of help us out.” Junior Kaelyn Scalley said.

“I just think it should be cheaper, because that much money is kind of ridiculous.” Junior Kayla Perley added on.

Let alone paying the school the debt each student owes them, there are other necessary accessories that are needed for prom. Items such as a dress, a suit, shoes, hair, makeup, corsage, and even a tan. All of those listed accessories are the typical getting ready for prom go-to’s.

When students were asked if prom and all of its expenses are worth it, the answers varied. “I think it could be, but the way Triton does it is not. It makes prom for fellow Tritonians not fun and very elementary.” Tucker said.

One of Triton’s marketing teachers Laura Kuleszka spoke on this matter. “I wouldn’t dream of missing it [prom],” she said. Looking back on her memory of prom, Kuleszka remembers saving her money to buy the necessities. “I worked hard to save up for my dress and my mother bought my tickets.”

Prom is one of the biggest high school events to happen within the four years of attending.

Thinking about students who don’t get the chance to go to prom, Kuleszka said, “Not only the cost of the prom, if you didn’t have a date somebody might miss it.”

“I went to prom with my wife,” Triton teacher Brendan Stokes said. As he reflects back on his high school prom, Stokes claims his best memory was, “just being there with my date and all of my friends.” Although Stokes went to a high school prom, he would be “totally bummed” if he missed out on the opportunity.

The only chance people have to attend their prom is throughout high school. Prom can bring a lot of stress and anxiety to conversations, but according to both Kuleszka and Stokes, missing prom wasn’t a part of it.

Picture by Ava Ford