Junior Prom Expectations VS Reality

Does prom live up to the hype like in the movies?

(Photo Courtesy of THSjuniorprom instagram account) 

Junior Class Officer Paige Volpone and Junior Class Advisor Theresa Carol pose with prom tickets reminding junior to get their tickets before the deadline.

(Photo Courtesy of THSjuniorprom instagram account) Junior Class Officer Paige Volpone and Junior Class Advisor Theresa Carol pose with prom tickets reminding junior to get their tickets before the deadline.

Junior Kaylyn Pestauro has a distinct vision for her junior prom.

“Overall I expect prom to be just as magical as they make it seem in all of the movies. I expect to have a great time with all of my friends. For a lot of us, this is our first prom so one can only hope it will be an amazing experience,” said Pestauro.

Prom season is in full swing as students across the country are dressing up and celebrating their high school career being almost over and in the process developing stronger social skills. In movies, like Footloose, high school dances seem almost too perfect to be true with extraordinary decorations, a perfect venue, cool music, and a school-wide musical flash mob. Yes, movies are scripted, but is there any truth behind the experiences one goes through on prom night? This years junior prom is on Friday, May 10th at Ipswich Country Club. So with prom just a week and a few days away, there has been some talk among first-time prom goers about what they expect prom to be like.

“I think it (prom) will be fun! I think the class officers will do a great job in preparing a fun night,” said junior Rylee Lucia.

Arguably a significant portion of prom is spent on the dance floor. The junior class officers have hired a professional company based out of the Boston, Massachusetts, area called The Beantown Sound to DJ this year’s junior prom. The Beantown Sound also offers other services including lighting, photography options (range from a photo booth to a live photographer), multimedia options, decorations, set design, and atmospheric effects. The references located on their website compliment The Beantown Sounds DJs with common sayings like “professional, talented, and organized.”

“I hope the dance floor is big enough to fit everybody (laughing) and I hope that they play good music like songs that are popular today,” says junior Sydney Johnson and Felicia Cardillo.

Before one can spend the night dancing away, they need some fuel. According to the junior class officers, the menu for prom will be an Italian buffet that includes chicken parmesan, pasta, salad, and of course bread. There will also be a stir fry available for those with allergies who cannot eat the from the buffet. The venue is a country club, so the food expectations may be high, but junior Aidan Gay-Killeen thinks otherwise.

“I honestly have pretty mediocre expectations, I think it (the food) will be okay,” said Gay-Killeen.

If you need a break away from the craziness of the dance floor, then stop by the photo booth and take some pictures to remember the special night. According to the junior class officers, there will be a professional photographer available to take photos at prom.

“I’m hoping the professional pictures are really good quality. I hope they get to every couple & every table & capture the night in photos. I hope the photo booth can fit a lot of people because everyone is going to be going to it,” says junior Kaylyn Pestauro.

The venue, Ipswich Country Club, is a good sized building with a beautiful golf course behind it. The country club also has a fireplace so if the weather permits it, you and your date can relax outside by the fire.

“I am excited for the place we are going too. Everyone said it’s amazing. So I hope I feel like I’m walking into a ball or something,” said junior Kerry Power.

Even if prom is nothing like the movies, it is meant to be a fun time and to create memories with one’s high school friends.

“Overall I expect prom to be just as magical as they make it seem in all of the movies. I expect to have a great time with all of my friends. For a lot of us, this is our first prom so one can only hope it will be an amazing experience,” said junior Kaylyn Pestauro.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the second part to this article after junior prom, where the Triton Voice will reinterview the students and ask them about the reality of their prom experience.