Talent in Triton

Students With a Gift

You may also like...
Ethan Tougas with two of his handmade guitars.

More stories from Ethan Tougas

Scenic Triton
June 4, 2019
Aspen’s Eagle Eye
February 26, 2019
Musical Inspiration
February 1, 2019
Fire at Pine Grove
December 21, 2018
A Constitutional Failure
December 14, 2018
Amanda Bowman

More stories from Amanda Bowman

Scenic Triton
June 4, 2019
Prom Restrictions
April 4, 2019
Aspen’s Eagle Eye
February 26, 2019
Winter Guard
January 16, 2019

Ethan Tougas

Janvrin (left) and Callewaert (right) standing together in the singer’s room in Triton High School.

As with any group of people, the student body at Triton harbors unique interests and talented individuals; Quentin Callewaert and Ben Janvrin are no exceptions.

Callewaert and Janvrin have both made names for themselves as top-notch musicians, in both their personal lives, as well as in the Triton Arts Department.

Sue Densmore, head of the arts department, spoke of their talent and some defining characteristics of the two students. “Their humility, their willingness to listen and bounce ideas back and forth, and the idea that they have a gift. They could easily coast, but they don’t. If you have a talent, to decide to dive in an maximize that is amazing. That’s how you contribute to the world.”

Callewaert started to explore the world of music at about 8 years old.

“My dad always used to have a guitar in the living room, and every time I would walk in the room I would see the guitar perched up on the seat. I just thought it was so cool.

“I think the most important thing for me is all the genres I’ve stumbled into. I started purely with classical guitar, which I still do, but just through listening to music I’ve developed a love for other genres such as fingerstyle, rockabilly, jazz and pretty much anything I can get my hands on,” said Callewaert.

Callewaert has been working on writing and recording some original pieces of music, which he intends to release on his debut album which is set to release some time before Christmas this year. His first original single, “Water Music in D Major”, was released recently, and was featured on Triton’s VTV with its accompanying video filmed by Triton alumna, Sarah Maggiacomo. 

“I have to say, it’s very, very cool, and it’s kind of surprising. I didn’t think people our age would really want to listen to that, or connect with it at all,” said Callewaert, who has a web site that features much of his music.

“I liked it, it’s an original composition that stands up next to anything I’ve ever heard. It’s terrific,” said Densmore.

Callewaert said he is very humbled and very appreciative of the feedback he has received from both students and teachers.

Janvrin has been playing guitar since he was 12 years old, but he started singing at age 8.

“I always wanted to do music. I was singing for a long time but I just didn’t know how to play an instrument. I wanted to have some way to become my own artist.

“It’s become more of something I like to do, compared to something I have to practice every single day,” said Janvrin. “ I don’t have to think about it, I just pick up a guitar every day and play whatever.”

Janvrin doesn’t have any original music currently, but would like to work towards creating some in the future.

“I would really love to make this a career. I can’t really picture myself doing anything else. Whether it’s not even just a high paying job, it would be so cool to share my love of music and fill arenas. It would be surreal,” said Janvrin.

“I think he’s an up and comer. I think his vocals are wonderful, he’s very easy to listen to when he sings. His guitar playing is good,” said Densmore. “He uses the guitar more as an accompaniment to his own vocals. He’s very good, and he’s got some talent.”

In regards to Triton Arts, Callewaert plays guitar in the high school jazz band, and both Callewaert and Janvrin sing in Jazz Choir – classes that are taught by Densmore.

“I think there’s all kinds of talent hiding all over the place. There are people who put themselves out there, and people who don’t,” said Densmore.