A Look Into the Theatre Department: What’s Next?

Director talks about her upcoming plans for the department, as well as the plans for the fall play.

Amanda Bowman photo

Students Madison Butler, Olivia Valley, and Jonathan Woodbury practice for an upcoming theatrical production.

Amanda Bowman, Staff Writer

Mrs. Sha Riordan sits behind her desk, going through her hundreds of scripts trying to pick a show for the upcoming season.
       The Triton Theatre Department is always on the go, and often asking the question: “what’s next?” For a director, this question is always in the back of their mind, whether it be about casting, blocking, or even things as big as picking a show for the upcoming season. Today, The Triton Voice will talk about what truly goes into picking a show, and everyone involved in the process.
       Mrs. Sha Riordan, the drama teacher and director at Triton High School, has been directing shows for 35 years, and every time she picks a show, she goes through the same process. “We look first and foremost at the people we have… are they more suited to comedy, or are they more      suited to drama,” said Riordan. This is perhaps the biggest piece in picking a show.
      “For example, we kicked around the idea of Jesus Christ Superstar this year, but, the group we have is more adept to comedy, and there isn’t a whole lot that’s funny about that show” said Riordan.
       But, that isn’t the only factor that goes into picking a show.
       “We also keep in mind vocal ranges. If you have to have a leading man who MUST be a tenor and you don’t have a true tenor, that wouldn’t be a good choice” said Riordan.
       Lizzie Oliver, one of the Stage Managers for the Drama Department, also has a role in picking a show.
       “I can give suggestions about what shows I’m interested in, and Riordan will look at them” Said Oliver.
       Having multiple people think of shows opens up a realm of possibilities.
       Susan Densmore, the Director of the Arts Department, also plays a huge part in picking a show.
       Densmore is the producer, and takes care of the business side of the show, making sure the royalties are paid, etc.
       Densmore is often brought into the choice by giving her opinions on shows and casting.
       “Sometimes, they bounce ideas off me, they’ll call on my acquaintance on people’s voices through doing singer’s classes….
      “I get brought in to consult on vocal ranges” said Densmore.  
       As far as picking a show, Densmore and Riordan’s opinions are similar.
       “Sometimes, you’ve got somebody in the department who you know is a stellar singer at such-and-such kind of music” said Densmore.
       Both Riordan and Densmore want a show that will have a good effect on the audience: something they will enjoy and have a good time at.
       Auditions are open to all, and they are always looking for new people, as well.
       “We want everyone who feels like they’ve ever wanted to be in a musical, we want them to come try” said Densmore.
          For this year’s fall play, Riordan wanted something strong and impactful. She chose Our Town because it is simple, sweet, and relates to the area we live in.
       Our Town takes place in Grover’s Corners, New Hampshire, and is about two childhood friends, Emily and George who end up getting married. The marriage, however, does not go as planned after a tragic event happens.
       Our Town will be presented on November 29, 30, and December 1 at 7:00pm. All are welcome, and the theatre department hopes to see you there!