Closer Look At Triton’s Budget

Money continued to be a problem during last years school budget problem

Triton photo archive

Money continued to be a problem during last year’s school budget problem

Thomas Powis, Thomas Powis

Triton’s budget is always an interesting and controversial topic here at Triton but exactly how do the students feel about it?

Many students have very strong opinions about this matter but most of them agree that Triton does a good job with the money it has but they think some aspects of the school are fund- starved.

“I wish Triton spent more money on cleaning and maintaining bathrooms.  They’re a mess and need renovation along with regular cleanings of all surfaces in the bathroom.” stated Ethan Tougas, a junior at Triton.  

Another Triton junior, Phil Lauritzen also expressed a similar opinion about the matter saying.  “If we want bathroom renovations, a necessity Triton will need another 5 or 10k.”

However, bathrooms aren’t the only area that some Triton students felt were lacking and needed funds and improvements.

“I wish Triton would spend more money on lunches they’re not horrible but i think they could be better.”  Tougas explained.  

Although many students think Triton needs money they also expressed their gratitude for a couple of features Triton has implemented, such as guest speakers.  

“I’m glad Triton has gotten money to spend on things like public speakers for assemblies although not a necessity they are a nice break from the everyday routine and are often interesting.” Tougas told me.  

Another student that agreed with Tougas point of view and enjoyed the school’s choice to add extra activities was Kyle Brancaleone, he stated.

“Triton does a good job spending money on activities(Such as guest speakers, field trips) for the students to engage in.”  Stated Brancaleone.

Although these two students wish some parts of Triton was better funded they both agree they have put a lot of money in good investments for the students.

Although these students all agree on the fact that Tritons budget does need to be increased to fix some errors around the school they each have their own opinion on what needs to be done or how much money Triton needs.  

“If we want bathroom renovations and a couple of other needed renovations triton need another 5 or 10k to make those improvements.”  Said Lauritzen.  

A different position taken by student Brancaleone to help get this money and make these improvements was.

“I don’t believe we need late busses at all we can just get rid of them permanently and focus that money elsewhere.”

These two different approaches are definitely a decent option but will not be easy for Triton to implement.  However one thing that is easy to see is the fact that the students are aware of the tight budget and it definitely shows around the school.

Hopefully in the future Triton will find a new way to fix some of the issues these students brought up to make for a more comfortable and enjoyable learning experience.  However so far many students have liked a lot of Tritons current uses of money and hopefully will continue to in the future.