what us behind your favorite drinks

The ingredients in Aroma Joe’s rushes with surprise you
    ashley sabino
    ashley sabino holding up the three drinks tried by triton voice writers.

What are you really consuming when you drink your favorite caffeinated drinks from Aroma Joe’s Aroma Joe’s is a well-known and much-loved place by local teenagers. The drinks that this chain offers  are tasty and provide lots of energy for tired teens, but what’s really in these drinks?

One of the most common energy drinks found around the school is the Aroma Joe’s signature Rushes.

“As a person who is always go go go drinking a caffeinated drink like Aromas rush is extremely helpful for me.” States ava Kiricoples, an avid Aroma Joe’s rush drinker. 

The Triton Voice visited the popular coffee among teens and tried their most popular drinks, the famous  rush energy drinks. The Triton Voice tried out the three most popular signature combo rush flavors to see what has everyone coming back each morning.

The official Aroma Joes website states that the first Aroma Joe’s ever built was in East Rochester, New Hampshire in the 2000s. They started getting popular in 2012 when they released their energy rush drinks, teens and adults were all over this. 

Many students are seen walking into school with the Aroma Joe’s rush. But why do the students love them so much? 

Ryan Voltaro, a junior at Triton whois seen with his Aroma Joe’s drink a few days out of the week. He mentions that Aromas caught his eye while driving to school one day and how it was different from Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. Voltaro states, “It tastes good and gets me through the school day.”.

Ava Kiricoples, a student at Triton says she started drinking rushes over the summer, and it has become a necessity during the school year. When she is staying up late doing school work the night before, she can always count on a rush to help her out throughout the day.

Although Kiricoples loves the energy it brings her, she also loves the taste. “I like them because they are an alternative to coffee that tastes fruity and sweet. Not only that but I like that it’s carbonated and it’s a great pick me up during an average day,” She states.

”I started getting hooked when I first tried the red raspberry flavor,¨says Anna Webb, a senior at Triton.

The Triton Voice went out and tried three of the most popular flavors of the Rush’s: Red Raspberry, Blue Hawaiian, and Green Alien.

The Drinks are true to their names and taste like what they are advertised as, as well as their colors. Each drink has the same amount of sparkle and fizz to it. The official Aroma Joe’s

website states, “An AJ’s Rush is a mixture of a caffeinated fizzy drink and flavor shots. With over 20 different flavors to choose from, the flavor combinations are endless!”

Many believe that caffeine comes from another very popular drink, Red Bull. When students were asked what was in the drink many stated along the lines of Redbull, with shots of flavor in it. Although, this is not true. Aroma Joe’s makes their own caffeinated drink, which also includes, carbonated water, and flavoring.

Though the drink may taste good, the caffeine intake is a concern to some. An average cup of coffee contains 95 milligrams of caffeine, while all Aroma Joe’s 32-ounce rushes, the larger size, contains 118 milligrams of caffeine. 

A plain cup of brewed coffee only contains 5 calories, but with whole milk and sugar that increases to 60 calories. However, this is nothing compared to the rushes. The “Signature Combo” rushes contain anywhere from 350 to 370 calories.

These drinks may get you through the day, but how are these drinks affecting the teenagers who are buying them? The amount of unsafe consumption of caffeine is 400 milligrams, but getting this drink multiple times a week can have a lasting effect.

The red raspberry rush contains red food dye, also known as Red 40. Red 40 is used to give color to many of the food and drinks you consume every day. You can find it in cosmetics, processed foods, medications, food products, and beverages. And some say Red 40 has negative effects.

“The use of Red Dye 40 is concerning because it has been linked to a host of physical and mental health issues, including ADD/ADHD, allergies, immune disorders, mind storms (which are issues with the brain’s wiring or electrical activity), and even inflammatory bowel diseases,” states “Amen Clinics” when talking about Red Dye 40 and showing how harmful this coloring is.

Another website showing concerns  about Red Dye 40 is “Peterson Farms.” They state that although the FDA has approved this dye in foods and drinks, studies have linked it to adverse health effects, especially in children.

Another ingredient found in the rushes is Taurine. The website “Mayo Clinic” states that unlike Red Dye 40, consumed in small, certain amounts it is okay to drink and consume. Taurine occurs naturally in foods and helps the body process bile acid and balance fluids, salts, and minerals

The drinks may be tasty, but have ingredients everyone should be careful of, especially triton students who use them for energy throughout the day.