The World Of Academic Support

The Triton Voice takes an inside look at Triton’s’ academic support programs

Imagine a world where every student has the tools and guidance they need to excel academically. Well this isn’t a dream, it’s the powerful impact academic support programs have, especially on students academics but also something that provides support beyond their regular expectations. 

At Triton, academic support plays an important role in shaping and guiding students’ academic journey. As experienced members of the Triton community and academic support here at our school, Mrs. Stacey Beaulieu and Mrs. Carla Wagner have seen the evolution of these programs. 

Here’s a peek at how academic support helps students excel. 

Academic support looks different for many, said Beaulieu when asked about her current role here at Triton and what goes on in her support room. Mrs .Beaulieu who has been an academic support teacher here at Triton since 2013 says, “I go out to classes all day and am never in the Support Room. I give support in the classes that I am in. When I was in the support room I would try and help students with the work they had. Sometimes that was hard because I didn’t know the material. Most of the time they didn’t need help with the material, they just needed help getting organized and started. Lot of what I did was keeping them focused.”  

When describing academic support, Mrs. Wagner another dedicated member of the academic support at Triton had this to say, Academic Support looks different for everyone because students all have totally different needs. I think Academic Support is getting what YOU need to be successful in school. 

Now, what the class actually looks like is different from a student’s perspective. From my own personal experience, I go to academic support and catch up on school work, take time there to cool down when I need it and working with Mrs. Wagner definitely helps me get my work done more effectively and efficiently. From a teacher’s standpoint, “Mrs. Wags” definitely gets a different point of view/ “It can be different from day to day,” she said.  “It depends on the students who are there.  Some students are taking tests, some are doing homework, some are studying and some are socializing.  Sometimes we are processing personal issues.  We always try to have some fun things going on (like fantasy football, pickems, parties and other games) so it promotes people talking to each other and enjoying their day a little bit.”

Both Mrs. B and Mrs. Wags agree that academic support involves more than just improving grades. It’s about developing a positive attitude toward studying, using important life skills, and inspiring confidence. Over the years, students transform as they gain the tools they need to be successful, not only in school but in life beyond the classroom. Some can get by in a school day with little to no help while others need to be in an academic support room for extra help. That’s where rooms like Mrs. Wagner and Mr. Riese or Mrs. B’s room come into play and allow students to get that extra help they need. As well as serving each student individually with strengths and weaknesses which can be very big to some students who need that one on one they can’t get in class. 

All in all, academic support rooms are highly beneficial to many students, and all students should consider reaching out and getting some extra help. You never know who you could meet or what opportunities could show up from seeking help. Whether it is to improve grades, develop study skills, or simply find a supportive environment, academic support programs can make a significant difference in a student’s high school experience and beyond.