Staying Grounded with Coffee

Staying Grounded with Coffee

Do you feel the need to get a coffee every morning? 

Many students and staff at Triton High School have been seen carrying around a coffee each morning, whether that’s from Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, a local coffee shop or even from their kitchen coffee pot. What people don’t know is what coffee and the caffeine in coffee actually does to the average human body and mind. According to the WebMD editorial contributors, “Four out of every five adults consume caffeine daily.”

An academic support teacher at Triton, Mrs. Wagner said, “I started drinking coffee in my twenties when I would drink half hot chocolate and half coffee. I enjoy drinking it, I’m not a morning person but it wakes me up and I love the taste and smell.”

Caffeine is a stimulant and severely impacts the nervous system. It can cause increased alertness, change in sleep cycle, anxiety, and even addiction and withdrawal. Many students will drink coffee in the morning to keep them up and alert during the school day. Verywell health said, “Research shows that drinking caffeine from a young age can stunt brain growth.”

“I think coffee is healthier than an energy drink because it’s more natural but it’s easy to get addicted to,” said Ms. Wagner. “It’s not the worst thing you can be drinking as a teenager.”

Billy Thistlewood says, “I don’t usually drink coffee but caffeine affects our generation because many people rely on coffee to get energy which gets them through the day. When they don’t have it they have a bad day because they are tired and not in a good mood.” Caffeine increases dopamine, which is also known as the happy chemical in the brain and can cause addiction just like any drug could. 

Some students drink coffee primarily because it’s just something to sip on and to fit in with the crowd. “I started drinking coffee in like fifth grade,” said Marvens Pierre Jules. “But I honestly don’t know why I drink it, I’m not even a huge fan of coffee. My friends always have it and the caffeine is a plus.” 

Although there are many negative effects of coffee, there are also positive effects as well. According to Healthline, coffee boosts energy, has been linked to lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes, supports brain health, promotes weight management, and many other factors that help the human body. Coffee, just like anything else you consume is usually good for you in moderation but too much of it can lead to drawbacks of the human body.