The Possibilities of A New Anatomy Course

Sara Winnick

Here is Dr. Moore’s class Skeleton Sketchy watching over the class

Dr. Ellen Moore believes that everyone should know how the human body works and how it is important for health.

I would love to take another anatomy course if it fits into my schedule. I want to be a nurse and if you are going into the medical field it’s important to learn about your own body.

— Julia Casaletto

“It is empowering to know the structure of your body and how it works.” Said Moore. “It provides individuals with the ability to understand health concerns, including the common cold, and injuries that they may be contending with at some point in their lives.” 

Anatomy and Physiology  is a science elective class that students can take at Triton High School and is taught by Dr. Ellen Moore, a science teacher. You can either take a CP or Honors class. In the class you learn all about the body systems and their functions. You get to do dissections on multiple species like a fetal pig and a cat and students get to learn all the medical terms you can possibly imagine.

Julia Casaletto, a Junior at who is currently taking the anatomy course with Dr. Moore. She hopes to be a nurse someday like many who take the course.

“Yes definitely, I would love to take another anatomy course if it fits into my schedule. I want to be a nurse and if you are going into the medical field it’s important to learn about your own body.” Said Casaletto.

Some may be disappointed to hear  that students only get to learn about half the body systems due to time constraints. A solution to that problem could be to create an Anatomy 2-course for the students who want to go into a medical profession and want to learn more about the body systems.

“We do cover the majority of the systems but we focus on the systems that most medical professionals will have to know best including digestive, respiratory, circulatory, muscular, and skeletal,” Moore said in regards to the Anatomy 1 class. 

But yet there are still so many other important systems depending on what you want to be when you grow up. For example someone may want to be a prenatal nurse and would need to know about the reproductive system. This is where an Anatomy 2 class would help.

Mrs. Theresa Karol, a Principal Secretary at Triton High School, has been involved in organizing the new courses for the next school year. She explained the process:

“First the teacher who wants to teach this course would have to create a proposal and share it with a panel in December,” said Karol. “The panel will be made of administration, guidance, teachers and students. If the panel is on board the new course will be placed in the course catalog.”

Dr. Moore said she would be open to teaching an anatomy 2 class.

“Yes, absolutely. I would love to be able to teach all the body systems and spend more time on each body system,” said Moore.

Only time will tell if we will get a new anatomy course, it’s too late for this year but for future students it could be possible.

Would You Take Another Anatomy Course If It Is Offered?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...