Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald movie review

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Most Recent

The Most Recent "Crimes of Grindewald" movie poster

Arianna Stevens photo

Arianna Stevens photo

Arianna Stevens photo

Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” was released Friday, November, 16th, 2018. The movie is the sequel to “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and is the second of five stories adding to the Harry Potter universe. The Crimes of Grindelwald’s screenplay is written by J.K Rowling herself and is directed by David Hayman, according to the Fantastic Beasts official website.

Last Friday, November 9th, a survey was sent to all of the students at Triton. This survey was sent the Harry Potter fans, in the school, option on the fantastic beasts series. One surveyor option of the first move was “was pretty cool. the creature O liked the most was the 4 winged hawk, followed closely by the size changing snake. in the end, i was sad that the guy got his mind wiped, but i get why it happened. lemme just say that the kid who was the demon thing was surprisingly outburst.” Another student’s option of the first film was “It was great Newt is an adorable Hufflepuff.” Also 55% of harry potter fans that were surveyed said they are excited for the sequel to the first fantastic beasts movie.

The Crimes of Grindelwald takes place where the first move left off, Grindelwald escapes custody after being captured by the United States version of the ministry of magic, with the help of Newt Scamander and his friends. Newt is goes to the ministry of magic to be able to travel again because of all of the trouble he cause in New York during the last movie Newt is not allowed to travel internationally. It’s there Newt find of Credence is alive, the ministry of magic says the will allow him to travel internationally if he joins the ministry. In addition to joining the ministry he has to go to France and kill Credence. Newt then rejects their offer.

Not too Long after Newt is asked by Dumbledore to go France to stop Grindelwald even though Newt isn’t allowed to travel because of all of the trouble he cause in New York during the last movie. Newt accepts Dumbledore’s offer and ends up going to France with Jacob Kowalski because Jacob’s girlfriend, Queenie, went to France to see her sister,Tina, after they had a fight. Tina also happens to be Newt’s love interest and they had a misunderstanding.
The character development gets a total of four out five. A few new characters and their relationship relating to different characters are revealed. Such as Newt’s brother and Leta’s complicated relationship with Newt In addition Newt is Professor Albus Dumbledore former student and Dumbledore Is a defense against dark arts teacher. As well as Dumbledore’s relationship with Grindelwald.

The movie give a good amount of character development for some characters and others not enough. The is a lot of character development with Newt. the audents got to find out more about his relationships and learn more about his personality. I wish there was more character development with Leta. I would like more backstory and screen time so the watcher can become attached to the character. That would make the ending more emotional. The way the ending with leta had so much potential but lacked luster . I would have like if Professor Dumbledore had more screen time but I have a feeling he is going to have more character development.
The plot of the story gets a total of three out of five. THe plot was good but there were some major plot hole. The story line was interesting and kept the audience’s attention the whole time. It was a good mix of comedy, romance, and action. Some parts of the movie were not coherent and left many questions.

Dialogue of the movie gets a five out five. The there was a lot of jokes and memorial dialogue. There were some very memorable dialogue from the movie. Such as when Dumbledore said “he was more that a brother”. The line was very memorable because of who Dumbledore was talking about. Another member line was when Leta said “there is no monster you can’t love Newt”. This line is so memorable because it reflects Newt’s personality so well.
The visual effect of the movie get a four and a half out of five. The visual effect of all of the creacher and magic uses was astonishing and visually pleasing. The visual effects have come far since the first harry potter movie. With that being said there was no real improvement in the visual effects from the first fantastic beast movie. There is still room for improvement in visual effect but there were still very good.

Taking in account of all of the plot, character development, dialogue, and visual effects, I would give this sequel a four out of five. THere was a lot of character that had a lot of charter development but there were some that did not get enough character development. The plot was captivating and engaging but there were some plot hole give the audience more questions than answers. The dialogue was phenomenal, and gave depth to the plot and characters. The visual effects were visually pleasing but there is still room for improvement. Over all the movie was great, it was engaging and immersive.