Filed under Showcase

Diwali: Festival of lights

Hindu holiday culminate with ancient Indian family members

A+friend+and+family+get+together+at+a+temple+in+Foxboro+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Diwali: Festival of lights

A friend and family get together at a temple in Foxboro

Patel photo

Patel photo

Patel photo

Fireworks in the sky, lamps in the windows, happiness on every face. Diwali the festival of lights (Christmas in India). Diwali is originated in North India, in the success of the Lord Rama and his wife Sita killing a demon, Ravana by lightning many lamps.

It’s not just Diwali though there are many events and functions leading up to this special day.

Dhanteras is celebrated on November 9th, on the first day of daylight savings. It is celebrated for money, gold, silver, and the prosperity for wealth.On Dhanteras, many Indians buy gold or silver. They do this because Dhanteras is considered a good day to buy gold because the goddess that we worship is Laxmi (wealth). It is considered a `good luck charm. On this day you set up your puja and put everything on the table. Then , you sit down with the family and light a lamp. You put the the gold coins in some milk and “cleanse” them, so you will be blessed with happiness, wealth and, prosperity.

“We do a puja (religious ritual) for honor the wealth that we have in our houses and we say thank you to  Laxmi. For the puja the things we need is a leafs, flowers, rice, kumkum (red powder), some gold or silver coins, some indian sweets, and a picture or statue of  Laxmi”,said, Vijay Patel

On December 6th it is Kali Chaudas, meaning Halloween in India. On this day Kali Ma (mother of eternal) killed an asuro (demon). We celebrate this day to end the evil, and to shine light on our lives.

“On this day me and my mom also make food to bring to the temple. Said Dolly Patel, we offer Laxmi food such as vada, puri, jaggery, ghee, oil, and coconut. I never really knew why we were taking these foods to the temple. When I was younger I was always told that Kali Chaudas was a time of evil and it was bad, later when i started getting older I realized that we would bring food to the temple to offer the food to Laxmi and Hanuman (the god of devotion). We would do this to purify the food and give it to those in need”.said, Dolly Patel

On November 7th, meaning Diwali,  Everyone dresses up and gets ready for the day.Going out and buying fireworks, sparklers, firecrackers, and much more. At the end of the day, the family lights up many lamps and thanks god for all they have, like wealth, happiness, money, prosperity, and peace.

“ I remember when I was in India we would get out of school for at least twenty days; yeah it is a huge thing. Everyone would go to each other’s houses and eat and, have a great time. At night when all the lights were off  it was so pretty. Even though, the lights in every house were off, every single house was decorated with light, flowers, lamps, and everything you could ever think off. It was something to remember. There is not one Diwali when I don’t miss it all. Living a couple hours from family really makes me sad knowing I can’t see them every day of this week reminds me of india. Diwali is the most beautiful holiday I have ever seen in my life.” said Shilpa Patel.

On December 8th, New years. It’s the time to have a fresh start. We celebrate this by having a feast and going to the temple with the family and, praying that this year will go better than the last year. Praying that this year will bring nothing but happiness and prosperity. We would end this night out with dancing.

“So for new years me and my family go out and literally end up spending so much money on firecrackers, sparklers, and like many loud snappers and stuff. Like it’s crazy how hype everyone gets. Its so funny because every time it’s time to do the fireworks and stuff the cops always show up and get hype with us, unless its the really cranky cops, but they get used to it. It’s like why should they get mad at us for celebrating our news year when they celebrate theirs in the same way and no one says anything you know?, said Neha Patel

Its finally Bhai Beej, on December 9th,. which is a brother and sister day similar to another indian tradition called Raksha Bandhan. This is where the brother gives to sister. But, Bhai Beej is the opposite from this. Bhai Beej is where the sister calls the brother over for a feast and gives a gift to him. They siblings both shower blessings upon each other.

“Every year I look forward to getting money from my brothers because thats what its all about right the mo

ney, no i’m just kidding it’s not all about the money. This is the one day in the whole year that your brothers are supposed to ask you for something. This year my brother came over my house along with some other relatives and had a big great. We stayed up until like 3 in the morning just talking, catching up, and playing various games”, said, Sanvi Patel.