Technology Takeover

Technology’s effect on high school students

Junior+Anthony+Ostrander+working+on+a+Chromebook%2C+one+of+the+technological+resources+at+Triton.+

Erin Gershuny

Junior Anthony Ostrander working on a Chromebook, one of the technological resources at Triton.

High school students have adapted to using technology in order to get their school work done and some students including, Kayla Perley and Julia Boyle feel that without technology school would be “more difficult.”

Junior Julia Boyle, spoke out on how technology positively impacts her daily life.

“I have a group chat for history, anatomy, and Spanish,” said Boyle. “People use it to ask what the homework is, or send their Quizlet study guides. They’re also helpful for answering questions and helping people who missed class.”

“Normally the same people give answers on the group chat, but they don’t seem to mind helping everyone else out,” Boyle said.

Perley said that she uses technology a lot in order to get through school. “It really helps me out with school because I have a hard time getting my work done, so iMessage allows my friends to be on my case about getting my work done,” said Perley. 

“It really helps me out with school because I have a hard time getting my work done, so iMessage allows my friends to be on my case about getting my work done.”

— Junior Kayla Perley

Students use technology to help with school in various ways such as Snapchat and iMessage group chats with their whole class. Airdropping assignments and sharing their study guides on Google Docs is also helpful. Some students won’t understand what their teacher taught in class and they will look up videos that explain the topic they’re learning about. Videos such as Khan Academy and Crash Course can help to get students back on topic by giving a different approach to learn.

Khan Academy was made to help educate students using online tools. The organization creates short math lessons in the form of YouTube videos that students have easily accessible to them.  Crash Course is very similar, it is an educational YouTube channel made to help students better understand history related topics.

Students at Triton also have the Aspen app which gives notifications on every single assignment that gets put in.

“I check Aspen every single night because I have to make sure I’m not failing any classes” said junior Harry Weston. “It keeps me on top of all my grades.”

Junior Jorge Castaneda on the other hand is “afraid to check Aspen” he said, “I don’t want to look at my grades if they’re bad.”