“A Great Chaos”

ken carson album cover the great chaos black and white picture with ken carsons the great chaos
Ken Carson

When Playboi Carti and his labelmates announced their “ANTAGONIST” arena tour, it seemed like his “Opium” label had been in hibernation. Only Destroy Lonely had dropped tracks, leaving fans bewildered, especially after Ken Carson’s July album announcement vanished into thin air. With the beginning of the tour creeping up, Carson finally pulled back the curtain on his third album, “A Great Chaos,” slated for release on October 13th. This revelation alone sent fans into a frenzy, even though Carson had teased them before. Anticipation swelled as tantalizing snippets of the album emerged, each offering a glimpse of the upcoming chaos. A day before the release, the whole album unexpectedly leaked online, leaving fans skeptical of yet another delay. Hours away from the scheduled drop, Carson stayed mum. But when the clock struck twelve, salvation arrived, and the LP burst onto all streaming platforms, giving fans the chaotic thrill they had been waiting for.

“A Great Chaos” emerged months after its initial expectations, residing on major streaming platforms such as Apple Music and Spotify. The hype surrounding the album began well before its release, tracing back to the announcement before Carson’s sophomore LP, “X,” in 2022. The essence of the album is simple yet powerful — it’s designed to incite a continuous moshpit, creating a tense and aggressive atmosphere that mirrors the chaotic energy of Carson’s live shows.

This album stands out as the most explosive release of the year, featuring a variety of beats from producers like F1LTHY, Starboy, Lil 88, and even Carson himself. F1LTHY’s influence, as a member of the “Working On Dying” collective, is prominent throughout, particularly on tracks like “Green Room” and “Succubus,” showcasing intricate production that sets this album apart from Carson’s previous works. The combination of Carson’s nasal delivery with the raw production results in a unique sonic experience.

Carson’s lyricism is characterized by catchy punchlines and aggressive bars, maintaining a consistent style with previous projects, notably “Project X.” While the wordplay may not be groundbreaking, the growth in this department is evident, especially in tracks like “Green Room.” The album features collaborations with Destroy Lonely and Lil Uzi Vert, highlighting Carson’s versatility in adopting different rap styles. Standout tracks like “Jennifer’s Body” and “Nightcore” boast remarkable flows, bending and twisting the typical sonic rhythms associated with hip-hop.

The album can be likened to the “American Psycho” of music, not catering to everyone but deeply loved by those who appreciate its eccentricity. Each song feels like an exploration of different dimensions, offering a multifaceted experience within a single track.

After thorough listening and research, “A Great Chaos” stands out as an above-average project, surpassing Carson’s previous works. The album, ranging between a high 7.5 to a solid 8, owes much of its appeal to the electric production. While the album’s vocal performances contribute significantly, it’s the production that elevates it to a unique status. Despite occasional lyrical ambiguity, the overall impact of the album is undeniable, cementing Ken Carson’s place in the realm of rage trap and hip-hop.