New Year New Resolutions Around Triton

What your fellow classmates and teachers have chosen to work on this year

Emma Campbell

Librarian, Ms. Jennifer Jones discusses New Year’s resolutions in this screenshot from VTV

Video: New Year, New Me

There’s a saying that goes, “New Year, New Me,” and many believe in New Year’s resolutions thinking  that they will help improve their lives. However, these resolutions act as unfulfilled promises for more people than expected as the year goes on.

What is a New Year’s Resolution?

A New Year’s resolution is like a goal for yourself to start when the New Year starts. The most common New Year’s resolutions are; exercising more (46% of people), creating a better diet (45% of people) … and are there others? From “Top 10 most common New Year’s Resolutions” by Brad Zomick.

“My New Year’s resolution is to attend all of my Town’s (Newburyport) events for the rest of the year.” Said Mr. Horsley a Biology teacher at Triton High School. 

Horsley decided on this resolution because he lives in Newburyport and knows that they have a lot of fun neighborly events in the town so he wants to be apart of those events and enjoy what they have to offer.

As you can see not everyone’s resolution falls in the same category, so the question left remaining is what is the most common resolution at Triton High School? 

Everyone who was asked about their resolutions typically had different things to say but when counted the most common resolution was to do better in school/get better grades.

“I hope to keep good grades this year so that it helps me in the future with college and jobs,” Said Carmella Cotter a junior at Triton High school

How long do these resolutions last anyways?

According to the New York Post, February 1st  is known as the day that people quit/cheat on their resolution. That’s only 32 days into the New Year and some people have already ended it, some say that they quit that early because it becomes more and more difficult to maintain their resolution each week.

“Hopefully I will make it the whole year and not miss an event,” said Horsley.

These resolutions give people a sense of hope for the New Year and they are personally designed. Even if you didn’t create a New Year’s resolution, there is still a year ahead of you to create one. These resolutions have a bandwagon effect and are taking the Triton community by storm. In addition to the previous interviews,  I interviewed students in the triton area about their resolutions for VTV. So be sure to watch the VTV video and get some more ideas for your New Years’ resolutions.