Governor’s Academy Students Quarantined over Coronavirus Concerns

Students Returning from China Exhibit Flu Symptoms

Heidi Ernst

More stories from Heidi Ernst

Travelers+from+Wuhan+and+other+cities+in+China+go+through+body+temperature+scanners+at+an+airport+near+Tokyo.++

The Seattle Times

Travelers from Wuhan and other cities in China go through body temperature scanners at an airport near Tokyo.

Jerry Fang, a Junior from the Governor’s Academy, was sent to the hospital for having a high fever of 103.6°.  But the big difference in how he was treated was that he had just returned from China,“I just had the flu, thankfully nobody from our school has the coronavirus,” said Fang. “

We couldn’t do anything and we were bored out of our minds, we were held in the health center for 2 weeks.

— Jerry Fang

” 

“Students who traveled to China were kept in the health center and school nurses quickly slipped food under the door and ran away.”  “It’s like the nurses have been keeping them in solitary confinement,” said Eric Berard, a Junior from the Governor’s Academy. You would first find this hard to believe but students from Governors who traveled to China over the past few weeks came back with symptoms of the virus such as fever and sore throats. Those students were evaluated and kept under close attention because of their symptoms. The incubation period for the virus is about fourteen days and according to Berard, “The Nurses kept anyone who they thought was sick under their immediate attention. This is why about twenty-nine kids in our community have been sent home or are stuck in the health center.” 

Tianyu Zhang, a Senior from the Governor’s Academy who lives in China, shared his opinion on the coronavirus, “I think it’s very xenophobic and racist of Americans who make fun of people from China because they’re scared that it will come to America,” said Zhang. In China, many people fear of catching the virus.

A Chinese man collapsed on the pavement who suffered from a heart attack.  He was reportedly left to die because a bystander was too afraid to give him CPR in fear that he had the coronavirus.

According to USA today, “The Donald Trump administration declared the coronavirus outbreak to be a public health emergency in the United States on Friday, setting quarantines on Americans who have recently been to certain parts of China.” Disease control centers and prevention officials

said it was the first quarantine order issued by the federal government in over fifty years. 

The government has not announced any absolute travel bans from the United States in association with the virus, though several private companies have taken action. 

Delta, American, and United airlines have declared they will temporarily cancel flights to and from mainland China out of concern for the outbreak of the virus. This puts Chinese students that this reporter interviewed in a dilemma. They are faced with not being able to return back home to their families. “Pretty soon we have spring break, and I may have to stay with one of my close friends from Govs because I will not be able to travel back home. My parents think it is safer for me to stay here while the virus is being contained,” said Zhang.   Private companies such as Starbucks and Apple are two of the many companies that are putting a hold on their business in China to diminish the rate or possibility of the virus spreading. 

Meanwhile there has been a recent case declared locally in Boston.

Eight total cases have been confirmed in the United States and one of those is Massachusetts. Health officials confirmed the first case of the virus in Massachusetts after a man who returned from Wuhan China, the epicenter of the virus, tested positive. The man received medical treatment and is now in isolation and will remain isolated until the public health officials clear him. 

The coronavirus outbreak  continues to climb in China and, according to The New York Times, “ deaths near 500, there are no signs of a slowdown.”  Health experts say the death toll is expected to rise because of the high numbers of infections. So far 24,324 people have been infected by the virus and “More people have now died in this epidemic than in the SARS outbreak of 2002-3 in mainland China.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/02/13/china-coronavirus-survivors-culver-pkg-ctw-intl-hnk-vpx.cnn