The Freshman Survival Guide

Expressive advice and everything in between from upperclassmen

Ernst photo

A group of freshmen girls pictured in the hallways of Triton left to right Ally Pugh, Caitlin Frary, Emma Morland, Chloe Connors (Ernst photo)

This past September the freshmen class scurried along the hallways to find there way around the high school, and now many have adjusted to the big change. 

As the end of the first quarter unwinds the freshman class of 2023 has settled into the high school life. The transition may have been intimidating. There are more hallways, classes, and students, to get familiar with and academic expectations are much higher.

Not only freshman at Triton experience this transition, this is also true at other schools such as The Governor’s Academy. 

“Your freshman year marks the beginning of a critical journey,” said Eric Berard a junior at The Governor’s academy.

Berard recalls that there was an adjustment  when he was a freshman at Govs. Berard feels its not worth worrying about because every change in a new environment requires adjustment.

Another student from The Governor’s Academy Sadie Falconer, who used to attend Triton remembered her first day of high school and said it was nerve racking. Falconer added that everyone took the first week very serious, but after the first couple of days nobody remembered what happened during the first week of school. Falconer also explained that spending your time stressing out over one homework assignment isn’t worth it and it’s best to seek help from your teachers. Falconer believed that this can help you improve your grades and can help you build a strong relationship with your teachers.

High school is short, “try everything before you graduate,” said Falconer.

Falconer explains that it’s important to get involved in clubs, after school activities and sports. whether or not you’re planning for college, Falconer said that it’s nice to have stuff on your resume.

”It’s both a good way to stay active in high school as well as making connections with people who  you wouldn’t otherwise,” said Falconer.

Falconer points out  that high school will be far more enjoyable if you spend more of your time with new people who you don’t know. Falconer adds that inviting change into your life is healthy and introducing yourself to people with different mindsets can broaden your perspective. 

“You won’t want to look back at high school as a time sitting in your house all day long,” said Falconer.

Falconer describes that it’s important to enjoy yourself outside of school to  create memories that will be remembered.

Relationships with counselors, teachers, administrators and the principles are valuable.

“When Junior and Senior year comes around, you’ll be filling out applications for college and they’re going to be the people who know you best.” Said Berard.

Berard explained that counselors and teachers can give you advice and are the ones who are writing your recommendations. Berard adds that those kinds of people have seen you grow in the span of the last couple years and know your character and can say the most about you. 

“I wish I knew going into freshman year that it’s not worth the time to procrastinate,” said Alex Hallstrom a junior at The Governor’s Academy.

Hallstrom explained that the second you begin to fall behind everything piles up and you’ll become stressed  and it’s valuable to learn the importance of time management. 

Freshman Emma Morland and  Irene Thompson were asked about the use of time management.

“I have to be more productive and manage my time better,” said Morland.

“School work is a priority it should come before anything, however it’s important to have a nice balance between extra activities and a job,” said Thompson. 

Henrik Ernst a Triton alum agrees that adjusting to the workload may be challenging from middle school, but freshman year is the foundation to the start of your high school career.  Ernst explains that it’s important to get a good start on assignments and adapt good study habits.

“Don’t use study as a time to socialize because having an hour of free time may not seem like a lot but can help you especially if you are involved with after school extra curricular activities or even have a job,” said Ernst

Ernst recommends having a positive attitude towards school.

“It will only get harder from here, just wait until college” Said Ernst. Ernst explained that  the learning is far more independent in college which puts more pressure on the student to get work done.

“My freshman year at college was hard because I was used to having classes everyday with more support and guidance,” said Ernst. 

This group of upperclassmen came to an agreement that it is important to make the most of your high school experience. 

“You only have four years and each year goes by faster than you think,” said Berard. 

Berard makes a point that It may be hard at times, but the overall experience is one you’ll remember and cherish into adulthood. Berard reflects back to two years ago when he was a freshman and recalls that freshman year takes many students by surprise in both positive and negative ways.  Berard adds that getting advice and the help of upperclassmen can help prepare you for an easier transition into high school.