Nightmare on Elm Street

Sen19rs get spooky at Halloween parade

Seniors Grace Poster (left) and Liv Mosher (right) prep for the Halloween Parade

Mackenna Faucher

Mackenna Faucher

Mackenna Faucher, Staff Writer

From Dwight Schrute to Cards Against Humanity, Seniors at Triton High paraded around the halls after weeks of preparation and coordinating with friends.

“…that’s why I’m a lone frat boy named Brad,” says senior, Juliette Lumley when asked about her Halloween costume.

Triton’s cancellation of the Halloween parade left students furious last fall when a snow day occured. This year, the parade came back without snow on the radar to ruin it all. In the weeks prior to Wednesday, October 31, seniors started to plan out their costumes. The last time an arranged Halloween Parade took place for these seniors was their last year of elementary school. When coming up with costume ideas, students have social media and previous years to look back on for inspiration.

Lumley had her whole costume planned out a week before the parade.

“Well at this school, there’s many,” says Lumley when asked where she got her frat outfit inspiration. For her costume, she looked for the preppiest shorts and shirts at Goodwill in order to find something simple and affordable.

“I feel like working in groups for this Halloween parade is a good idea but personally, it’s hard to go into a group once everyone else has started thinking of their idea and characters. So, that’s why I’m a lone frat boy named Brad.” Lumley says she decided to choose this route because it seemed unique. She wanted to avoid having the same costume as someone else.

Senior Lindsey Gardella decided to dress as a robber with a group of her friends. She said she thought joining a group rather than going solo made the whole experience better.

“Well, we actually bought everything Tuesday night. We had originally planned to do the characters from Holes but we weren’t able to find the orange pants. So, we last minute decided to go with the robbers,” says Gardella.

Weeks prior to the parade senior Bella Kreticos shared, “I feel excited. It’s going to be a fun time. It’s one of the last things we’ll do together as a class.” Kreticos ended up coming in a Minion costume that she pulled together a day or so before, without timing worrying her.

On the other hand senior Amy Clark did not feel as at ease as the parade’s date approached.

“I was much more excited when I was younger. I was already excited, and now I just feel stressed,” says Clark. In order to get ideas, she looked through Pinterest, but nothing really stuck. Eventually, she joined a group effort using Cards Against Humanity featuring Triton Slang such as “aye vikes,” often said by senior Kelley Frithsen.

Sophomore, Morgan Mead predicted early on there would be a few students dressed as Cardi B or Donald Trump. Dr. Champy came in with Ms. Cornell as the famous presidential couple just a few days after Mead’s guess. On Halloween, Seniors arrived 30 minutes or so before the parade started to prepare and take photos. Underclassman and their teachers lined the hallways as The Office theme song and rap music played from portable speakers. Supreme references, Monsters Inc, superheroes, and cops were seen in Triton’s halls.

After watching seniors walk the parade for three years, Gardella said, “I do think it was overrated. I used to love always watching it, but then like actually being in it, it wasn’t as great as I thought it was going to be.”

While Gardella felt letdown, Mead with two years left of high school, is already looking forward to her parade.

“The parade gives kids a chance to be careless and childish again,” says Mead.

About the Contributor
Mackenna Faucher, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Mackenna Faucher, a senior at Triton High School and writer for the Triton Voice. I love covering teachers and student trends/profiles for news...