First Cybertruck Collision

Head-on crash reveals safety concerns for the Tesla Cybertruck

Quite recently the Tesla Cybertruck got in its first crash on the road. The aftermath of the collision has revealed many concerns for the safety of the vehicle, for the passengers in the Cybertruck and the other vehicles on the road.

The crash was a head-on collision between the Cybertruck and a Toyota Corolla. Notably from the images revealed of the crash the damage was mostly exclusive to the Toyota. The Cybertruck had only a small dent, but the Corolla was completely destroyed.

The aftermath of the collision has left a lot of people with safety concerns for the Cybertruck, mostly with what is known as a crumple zone. When a modern car gets in a head-on collision the front of the car is designed to crumple to (for lack of a better term) cushion the impact. This safety feature has been a safety feature in cars since the 1960s. But apparent in the crash, the Cybertruck seems to lack this feature.

The Cybertruck may not have a crumple zone, but it is very heavy. As a result of this, the Cybertruck can almost take a “I don’t need a crumple zone if I just win the crash” mentality. This can become very dangerous though, if the Cybertruck were to crash into a solid object (like a tree or wall) this philosophy breaks down, in fact it’s actually insanely harmful for the Cybertruck. The more mass a car has the more kinetic energy it has. If the Cybertruck were to crash into a wall, because it doesn’t have a crumple zone, all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere, and happens to be the driver and passengers. Here’s a good analogy, if you were to run as fast as you can into a wall it would hurt, but if you had three pillows taped to your chest the impact would be a lot less painful.