A trip to Barbie Land

Barbie movie review
Adobe express
Barbie hiding her feet when her her life comes crashing down when human characteristics start to take over her dream life.

The iconic scene in the Barbie Movie seems to be when Greta Gerwig’s main character, Barbie’s, feet fall flat, an event that shakes the whole Barbie world. Gerwig’s arguably most popular and greatest movie she had directed is the one and only Barbie Movie.

Barbie land, a place that many dream of, is dominated by women. I can’t even imagine how great our world would be if it was run by women. A girl can only dream, but in Barbie land that dream is real. The main character and the main doll is Barbie, and Barbie’s world revolves around her But her dream life comes crashing down when her feet fall flat, and her life falls apart inside the walls of her pink, plastic, and perfect dream world.

Barbie, played by Margot Robbie(Suicide Squad, Bombshells, Amsterdam), is living the perfect life in her perfect world, until her feet fall flat and her world falls apart. When Barbie shows friends her abnormal situation, she receives a horrified reaction from all of them that I think was just a bit over the top. The only Barbie who understands imperfection,  ironically named “weird barbie” , is played by Kate McKinnon (ghostbusters, mastermind, bombshells). When Barbie’s feet fell she lost  her Barbie “powers”, and even became depressed, and fat. Sounds like an average human right?

Weird Barbie teaches Robie’s Barbie and guides her through the harsh realities of real life. Once she starts to understand her mission she left Barbie land and took a long journey into the real world to fix all of her human characteristics that are taking over her perfect life. Her confusing relationship with her kinda-maybe boyfriend, Ken,  decided Barbie couldn’t travel to the real world without him. There was a long, relatively confusing journey to get to the real world like riding bikes, roller skating, riding in a spaceship and boat to finally end up in a world she didn’t even recognize.

The ending of this movie was very sentimental, beautiful, and much more words can’t even describe. Many cried over the interaction between Barbie and her original creator Ruth Handler

This movie was filled with creativity and more from the directors. The scenery and really making the set actually feel like you were in the Barbie world was shocking. The world was filled with all different shades of pink and barely any other colors, really giving the Barbie aesthetic without it being too much. I think making the setting of the movie when in Barbie land could easily have become overwhelming and too much, but they knew how to not make it like that.

The only flaw I think this movie has is that it isn’t even big in the introduction to it. I think it could have been executed better but I see the idea that was trying to be shown. The idea of the barbie coming into the world and no one caring about baby dolls anymore.I think that this is a flaw because the introduction is the first thing you see and hear and it is introduced into what you watch. It wasn’t a bad introduction but I don’t think it related to the classic“Barbie” enough and could have more.

I walked into the theaters prepared for more of a children’s movie and I was okay with that. Although I came to realize that that was not the case. It wasn’t what I was expecting but it still interested me and I learned a lot from it. The story that Greta Gerwig was trying to tell was clear as day and wonderful, women empowerment. Being a woman in this day and age is nothing but easy. This movie shared many lessons and heartwarming moments that made me proud to be a woman.