Studio Home

A New Way of Living
Studio+Home

Nestled in the thick woods of New Zealand sits what looks to be a scrap metal hut, not fit to be a home. The closer you get, however, the more futuristic it looks and the uniqueness of it catches your eye. William Samuels, Studio House, is exactly that. Built to be an alternative to standard living, this small metal house can be transformed into a portable home and relocated from place to place. 

With the unaffordable housing market, Samuels thought making a transportable home would be a great idea. Using two timber-framed, barrel-vaulted modules placed slightly offset right next to each other, he created an open living space in the interior. The two modules consist of a kitchen, study, bathroom, and small loft above in one of them and a living room and bedroom in the other. The two create the perfect living area for an AirBnB, vacation home, or a couple looking into tiny home living. 

The warm, natural minimalist feel of the home fits with the woods of New Zealand and helps create a homey look to the metal modules. It works for what Samuel’s wanted, a home that untraditionally, doesn’t stay in one spot. With fewer couples having kids and an unaffordable housing market, moving from place to place isn’t such a crazy idea.

The interior is what brings this place together though, with the tall arches letting the small space feel more open and the little cozy nooks bringing character to the rooms. My favorite part of the house is the loft above the bathroom. It’s a chill little hangout spot that is basically hidden from anyone that enters the home and brings back the childhood feeling of having your own little hideout. 

The name Studio House is exactly how the house feels, it is basically your own little studio that is perfect for chilling out or laying in the loft doing work. Even though the home doesn’t feel complete with its lacking size, it brings back what me and many other people wanted to live in as kids. It looks like something I’d build in Minecraft and think it was the coolest thing in the world. With the house having a playful design and interesting look, it brings back a little bit of the child’s spirit many people like me look for.