Teacher Profile:April Leydon

Thomas Powis and Nick Perreault

Ms. Leydon, a new teacher at Newbury Elementary, has always been inspired to help people more specifically, children.  

Despite the fact that this is Leydon’s first year at NES, this is not her first rodeo.  Leydon previously worked at Marblehead Public Schools and as an ABA Teacher at the Futures Clinic and she is ready for a great new year at NES.      

“For the first time in a long time, I was actually excited to start this job!”  Exclaimed Ms.Leydon.

Leydon grew up in Rowley and went to Worcester State College.

“I went to Worcester State College for my undergrad in Communication Sciences and Disorders and American International for my Masters in Special Education.”  Said Leydon.    Leydon now lives in Salem and is excited to be able to help her new students.

Leydon was inspired from a young age to teach and has always wanted to help people, specifically children.  Leydon loves seeing the progress they make and is excited for this year helping this cause at NES.  

So far at NES, Leydon has said that there have been no real obstacles or troubles and that everyone has been very nice.  Leydon says she did not feel scared heading into this job and in fact has been rather excited.  She is looking forward to seeing all the progress her students make and has loved meeting them.  

A fellow colleague and mentor Jennifer Brown believes that Leydon has adjusted to her new job quite well and that she seems to have a great impact on the students and teachers around her.

“Ms. Leydon is patient, kind and friendly.” Said Brown.  Over the past four weeks she has taken the time to get to know the students in her classroom and work closely with the staff.” Brown says that her first impressions of Leydon were very positive saying Leydon was “easygoing” and “friendly”  also stating she felt like Leydon has gotten off to a great start.  Brown has loved teaching Leydon the ropes so far and said she hopes that Leydon will be working for NES for years to come.  

Another colleague of Leydon is Mollineaux had a different first day experience day at NES to Leydon.  Mollineaux says.  “I was probably nervous above every other emotion.  I still get butterflies on the first day every year.  I feel so responsible for making it fun and comfortable, and I so want those little ones to be excited about school.”  She says that NES is a great place that is very special.  She states she loves the NES and Triton community and that she is very glad both her sons are in the system and feels like Leydon will love it.

Leydon says hopefully the year will be one of success and good experiences. Being an educator is no easy task, students can be unwilling to learn and can be rather difficult to work with. Despite this, Leydon is looking forward to the challenges and rewards that the job will bring; “I’ve always wanted to help people, most particularly children, and love seeing all the potential and progress they make.”