Newbury Elementary School Gets a Stellar New Special Education Teacher in Fall of 2021

Kylie Orzulak reads students a story during story time prior to the pandemic.

Kylie Orzulak Photo

Newbury Elementary School’s new special education teacher has a lot to offer, and is making a big difference. 

“She has a lot of great energy. She is always willing to help in any way,” said NES Principle Beth Yando. 

When walking into Kylie Orzulak’s classroom it is easy to tell she loves her job. The classroom was decorated with care. A manifestation board was on the wall with bright colors. Manifestation is a way of self help and confidence building, sort of speaking it into existence (ex: I am strong. I am smart.) She had two students, around 10 years old, working with her as well. One student asked to show her the paper he had been working so hard on. After hearing the positive response Orzulak gave, the young boy was glowing with pride. It was then that it became clear that Orzulak was making a positive impact.

Orzulak, 26, grew up in a small town called Barre, Massachusetts. Growing up, she loved sports and was active in her community. She was a star field hockey and softball player. Orzulak grew up playing with many kids with disabilities. Even as a kid, it brought her joy to spend time with them. She acknowledged that some of the challenges that they were facing were different from the ones that she faced, but she didn’t let it get in the way of having fun. Orzulak’s whole family works in special education, so she had a pretty good idea that she wanted to work in special education as well. 

Orzulak became a substitute at Ruggles Lane, the elementary school she grew up going to in Barre. Orzulak has a bachelors in Elementary Education and Moderate Disabilities. Orzulak also was a part of a fellowship program where she taught in Swampscott in return for paying for her masters. She graduated from this program in May of 2021. 

After her experience in a city setting, she could tell the setting wasn’t right for her. “I really like the small town community.” Said Orzulak. Many people who move from a suburban or rural area to the city know that it is hard to get the same intimacy you get when you get in rural areas when you’re at a large city school. After her 2020-2021 fellowship year, she then moved to Newbury Elementary School to teach 4th and 5th graders. When she came to Newbury Elementary, it felt like home. “Everyone is so supportive… Everyone is so willing to help,” Orzulak said regarding her colleagues at NES.  

Orzulak has 13 students on IEPs, 9 of which are in 5th grade and 4 are in 4th grade. When she was asked about what the average day looks like for her, she said there was none! “Usually, my day consists of checking in with general education teachers and pulling my students out throughout the day to deliver services. Services are small group instruction to focus on what my students need help with. There are always meetings and consults but the best part of my day is always teaching my students.”

TRSD has a program where every new teacher gets a mentor to help show them the ropes and answer questions. “I have (helped) Kylie become acquainted with the staff. I familiarize her with responsibilities and technology.” Said Kate Snowden, Orzulaks mentor. Snowden teaches 6th grade special ed. “She’s Great. She’s a hard worker.” Said Snowden regarding Orzulak.

Orzulak feels as if having a mentor has helped her greatly. “Such an incredible experience… You don’t feel like you’re bothering them.”

Along with the mentors, Orzulak also works with 2 general education teachers, who teach all of the subjects.  “My students are full inclusion so they spend their day in the classroom and I just pull them out to work on specific skills.”

Starting a new job in general is hard, but starting a new job during a pandemic is even more difficult, but Orzulak is paving her path and she is making a difference while doing so. “She forms good relationships with her students.” Says Principle Yando.