Experienced Educators First Day At A New School

Andy Burns & Jacob Alves, staff Writer

For most kids at Salisbury Elementary the first day of school means they are going back into the same building, walking through the same halls, and seeing the same teachers. Except when they walk by the art room, where there is a new face. Her name is Ms. Jennifer Bergeron.

Bergeron was never planning on becoming an art teacher, but she did really enjoy art and went to school at UMass Dartmouth and majored in sculpture. After school, she worked at a museum where she taught art lessons. She loved what she did, but still never knew that she was going to be working with kids. While she was working at the museum she was also an artist and some of her work has won awards. After becoming a teacher she got her first teaching job in Dracut School System where she work for 20 years before moving to Triton. During the summer she works at a restaurant, and during her free time she is spending time with her kids.

“Being a teacher is all about the pacing. Five minutes too fast than you have to come up with something else to do, but take too long and you have to stop in the middle of a lesson,” she said after being asked what’s the largest challenge she faced as a new teacher.

When asked how her transition was to Triton, she said that everyone was very nice and supportive as she learned her way around the school. She never really had second thoughts about teaching, because the way she put it, “if you do something you love than you never work a day in your life.” Her favorite age groups are the k-sixth graders because of the amount of variety that comes from the age group. One class you are teaching kids about lines and the next you are teaching about abstract art she explained.

When she first became a teacher she had loads of support from other teachers in her building. Her middle school art teacher, who said that she would become and art teacher back while she was still in middle school, helped her with lesson plans and some tips on how to run the classroom.

“I felt she was a seasoned experienced professional educator who has a passion for the arts and her students,” Said her mentor in the Triton school district Lillian Chalifour after being asked about her first thoughts on Mrs. Bergeron.

“I helped her with setting up her classroom (moving furniture), tour the building, introduce staff &  answer questions about schedule, students, and supplies” said Chalifour when she was asked what things she had helped Mrs. Bergeron with before school started.

As the years go by and Mrs bergeron continues to teach and influences young students to be artists and hopefully she stays with us here at triton.