Reverse Foreign Language Teacher

Triton Middle School’s Newest ELL Teacher

Reverse Foreign Language Teacher

Mitchell Wolpert, Staff Writer

Triton Middle School’s newest ELL teacher, Mrs. Emily Sheehan, has made her mark on the Spanish speaking children of Massachusetts.

“Because of these kids, my five year goal is to learn Spanish.”

Sheehan wasn’t always a teacher. In fact she spent many years working outside of the classroom. After graduating from UMass-Amherst with an English degree, she worked outside the classroom and questioned why she wasn’t working in a school every day. After taking off several years to start her family Sheehan returned to the work force 

but this time in education. Sheehan worked with bilingual students in the Salem Public School system. It was after her time there that she realized she wanted to teach ELL.

Sheehan graduated from UMass Amherst in 2004 with a degree in English. From there she worked for a few years outside the classroom before getting married and starting a family. Sheehan then took six years off to have and raise her three children.

When Sheehan returned to the work force, she started working in schools. She spent some time as a substitute teacher at Pentucket before she started working at a dual language school in Salem, Massachusetts. It was at this school that Sheehan discovered her passion for teaching English Language Learners.

Since starting at Triton, Sheehan has already made her mark on the students and teachers of the middle school.

¨[Sheehan] works hands on in the class with the students¨ said Gillian Beckwith, eighth grade science teacher. Using the school’s new Stemscopes program Beckwith and Sheehan work together by giving ELL students work in both Spanish and English, helping to build their confidence in language as well as science.

A typical day for Sheehan begins with a morning of attending classes with her ELL students. During this time Sheehan may turn to one of her mentors, Ms. Carla Wagner.

“I’m really there to help her learn how to work in another teacher’s classroom.” says Wagner.

In the afternoon Sheehan teaches English to students whom she says inspired her to make her five year goal to learn Spanish.