South African Students Join Triton Community

Riane Vatcher and Sofia DeSimone

Junior, Christia Coetzer, tells The Triton Voice about her experiences so far at Triton High School after moving from South Africa

Christia Coetzer moved to the Plum Island area with her sister and parents this past August from South Africa and will be attending Triton High School as a junior this year.

“I came to America with my mom, dad, and sister,” Christina explained. “My father works for a company out of Melrose, Massachusetts, so he decided to move closer to his job. Years ago my family was going to come to America but my mother was not ready to leave South Africa yet, but now we are living in Plum Island with my dad’s boss.”

Coming from a different culture and way of life can be difficult, especially when English is not your first language. Leaving a life thousands of miles behind can be scary and coming into such a close-knit community as Triton can be intimidating. However, Coetzer has seemed to find her way.

“It is a lot different here compared to South Africa. I am still finding my way, but I am enjoying America and Triton is an awesome school,” she told The Triton Voice.

Christia met academic support teacher Ms. Carla Wagner who specializes in the English-language-learners program her first day at Triton. The two of them spend many hours together every day including free periods and lunch. “I have helped her with some of her classes, I’ve talked to her teachers about some of the ways they can help her in the classroom because it’s tough being new, and it’s even harder when English is not your first language.” Wagner said. “I think she is doing great. She’s involved, she seems to be making friends quickly. I really enjoy working with her.”

Despite these differences, Coetzer has not only found her place academically, but has become a part of the field hockey team as well. She has already made connections with multiple Triton staff members and students only after one month into the start of school year, and they have nothing but positive things to say about her.

“I think Christia is adjusting to the team very well,” head field hockey coach, Donna Andersen said. “She is probably one of the most coachable and respectful girls who does what you ask her to do and will always say ‘thank you very much,’  ‘thank you coach, bye coach.’ Oh she’s just so sweet.”

Coming from South Africa, Coetzer was interested in joining the field hockey team because she had prior experience playing the sport back at home. “I started playing field hockey in 8th grade, so this is my fourth year playing,” Coetzer told The Triton Voice. “Field hockey is definitely my favorite part. I’ve learned more from the season at Triton than I have learned from the time I played in South Africa.”

Athletic Director Sean McInnis was eager to help Coetzer and her sister find a place in the athletic programs offered at Triton High School. “We got the sisters in touch with each of the coaches on the field hockey team, so that way players of the team knew about them and could make the girls feel invited during their first tryout,” he said. McInnis was very excited to have this opportunity to make Coetzer and her sister feel welcome through the athletic department and believed they were adjusting very well.

“It is a lot different here compared to South Africa,” Coetzer said. “I am still finding my way, but I am enjoying America and Triton is an awesome school.”