Word to the Wise

The teachers and staff of Triton give college advice to students thinking about and applying to college.

Jeffrey Cross

Senior Jonathan Woodbury with his future college: Salem State University.

Some people say they know what career they want to pursue from a young age. Others aren’t as lucky. The idea of attending a college or university without knowing the first thing about choosing majors, minors, or even a career path can be scary. Luckily, Triton’s teachers seem to know how to help.

Middle school music teacher Mr. Todd Roberts says the best college advice he can give is: “When you’re choosing a major, try to think about what you want your life to be like after you graduate. You may end up spending a lot of time working while other people are relaxing. Factor that in.”

As the seniors of Triton start to receive their acceptance and rejection letters from colleges and universities of all shapes and sizes, it becomes clear that there are many more things to think about. Roommates, majors, minors, best food around campus, transportation, living on or off campus; the list goes on. The reality is that seniors are about to venture into unknown territory with many questions. With all of the different components that make up the college experience, it is known to be stressful on many counts.

Teachers in the district have been preparing high school and middle school students for college. Having been there themselves, of course, they know the application process and what to look for in a potential college. Another perk of talking to teachers is learning where they went wrong or what they could have thought about more and how to avoid these problems.

High school English teacher Mrs. Sarah Scruton said that there were a few things she advises her students to do while preparing for college.

“Doing the college search now with my own kids, I wish I had paid more attention to the options that you have for college,” said Scruton, “Things like taking advantage of overseas opportunities and looking for schools that have really good internship programs […] just things that are going to prepare you for the years after college, not just focusing solely on the four or so years you spend at the college.”

Nowadays, it seems like there are more and more opportunities for students to take part in a trip overseas or an internship program at their dream job. These options are continuously encouraged for students planning on attending college. Some people may not be able to help but think, ‘I already have to pour my money into college. Why should I spend more?’

Someone that may be your friend now isn’t always the best person to make your roommate. You guys may have completely different living styles to get used to and sometimes that’s harder than you think.

— Scruton

Mr. Scott Brennan encourages students not to worry too much about the cost of colleges or experiences offered to them too much. “A lot of colleges give out merit money, so there may be a college you think is too expensive but may not be [as expensive] with the merits. Do something that makes you happy, it’s not always about the money!”

Attending college brings a different experience for every student regardless of majors or campuses. Overall, the teachers and administrators of Triton all want the high schoolers to be successful and take as many steps necessary to lead the lives they truly want.

“Your major doesn’t necessarily determine what you’re going to do later,” said Scruton, “It’s important to remember that when looking for your job. What’s available now might not even be a thing when you graduate. Keep your options open.”

Quote for Sidebar: “Someone that may be your friend now isn’t always the best person to make your roommate. You guys may have completely different living styles to get used to and sometimes that’s harder than you think.” – Scruton