Alternative Fact?

Do students believe Trump's middle class Tax cut claim.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alternative Fact?

President Trump appears on TV

President Trump appears on TV

Robert Maggiacomo

President Trump appears on TV

Robert Maggiacomo

Robert Maggiacomo

President Trump appears on TV

Robert Maggiacomo, Staff Writer

When Junior Jack Sullivan heard about President Trump and his assertions to cut taxes for the middle class while campaigning for midterms he was skeptical,

“I think he’s not serious about it. He’s probably just trying to get people on his side for the elections.”

Andrew Valianti was asked the same question about President Trump’s honesty and said,

“I believe it absolutely a shallow promise to garner people on the fence this upcoming election onto his party’s side. He knows that none of them will fact-check the claims he makes long term or even look at all the empty guarantees he has said in the past.”  

With President Trump campaigning recently for the midterms he spoke of a tax cut for those in the middle class. But a big question that this posed for many is if he was just saying that to get people on his side for midterms or if he really means it.

Though some may not believe Trump when he says he’s going cut taxes for the middle class in December of 2017, he did sign the Tax cuts and Job Act which lowered the maximum corporate tax rate to the lowest it’s been since 1945, which could be good for businesses especially large ones that have access to good tax attorneys who can help them pay less. This act mainly helped the big businesses but how would students feel if this so far hypothetical middle class tax cut actually came into fruition and how affected do most feel they would end up being.

As this question was posed to Michael Farago he said,

“That sounds pretty great I’m middle class I think that means we wouldn’t have to pay as much dough in taxes.”

Valianti said,

“I absolutely want middle class tax cuts. I believe it would be an amazing endeavor that would benefit all and allow growth. The problem is, Trump says middle class tax cuts, then turns around and cuts the taxes of his ultra-rich compatriots.”  

President Trump is someone who always keeps people guessing. And though people may have many mixed opinions on him as a person varying from terrible to tremendous. It seems like students at Triton are open to middle class tax cuts whether they end up being fact or alternative facts which is something only President Trump knows.

About the Contributor
Robert Maggiacomo, Staff Writer

My name is Robert Maggiacomo. I am a 16-year old junior at Triton High School. I'm from Byfield, Massachusetts. When I'm in journalism I enjoy covering...