Work Ethic Outside of Triton

A Deeper Look at Students Jobs and the Benefits that Follow being Employed in High School

Sprague photo

Triton student fills out job applications.

Makayla Sprague, Staff Writer

Some may find that having a job in high school may distract students from their school work; however there are many benefits of having a job during highschool, a Triton senior and two Triton juniors shared their opinion on their jobs.

“I work at Vision Max Cinema in Salisbury,” Triton senior Lindsey Gardella said. “I work at the concession stand, where we also sell tickets. During the range of showtime’s, we help customers buy tickets and at the concession stand. I get paid minimum wage, and I love my job, my boss does so much for us…and I love all my coworkers too. We have fun.”

When the time comes to enroll in your first occupation, most adolescents never know where to look; however, many students at Triton are working various occupations from restaurants to hospitals, and many students are even making more than minimum wage. Hearing about their jobs and the benefits of having a job may spark other students to get their own job.

Gardella demonstrates that student jobs are not always boring. The senior also showed how working during high school years creates a bond with coworkers who may not go to the school so with this, new people are met and relationships are formed. Also, having a good relationship with the boss of your company may be beneficial in the long run when a reference is needed in the future.

After speaking with a few students in Triton,  it was gathered that students tend to stick with the same categories of occupations which include restaurants, ice cream stands, Market Basket, or for a few, working with kids; however, few students’ jobs extend out of these areas. These jobs allow them to make their own money, as well as prepare for their future.

“I work at Anna Jacques in the cafe. I make minimum wage, and my job consists of a few tasks. I assemble trays, prep food, and take care of the used trays. I enjoy my job,”said Chloe Hynes, a Triton junior.

With the minimum wage at $11 in Massachusetts, and $7.25 in New Hampshire, students may find themself making minimum wage or a little over.

Triton junior Emily Debenedictis finds herself making more than minimum wage. “I am employed by Vinwood Caterers. I am currently making good money working there ($15 an hour)…I love my job,” said Debenedictis.

As a student,  going to work may not be so exciting. However, with a job of their own, students are able to purchase what they want and go to events without asking their parents for money all the time.

In addition to having their own money, there are many other beneficial factors for students who have a job. Research shows that students who have a job are more likely to succeed. A research article, “Why more tennagers and college students nood to work while in school” by Jeffrey J. Selingo, of The Washington Post stated, “A job teaches young people how to see a rhythm to the day, especially the types of routine work teenagers tend to get. It’s where they learn the importance of showing up on time, keeping to a schedule, completing a list of tasks, and being accountable to a manager who might give them their first dose of negative feedback so they finally realize they’re not as great as their teachers, parents, and college acceptance letters have led them to believe.”

A job can also help a student succeed by helping students prepare for college. This is because, if a student is required to have an internship in college, having experience working would be beneficial. With having a working experience,  students will be prepared for what bosses expect, as well as how to be a good employee due to having experience from their high school job.

Students who attend Triton, tend to make the most money in the food business. Due to having a set pay, and/or due to making minimum wage with addition tips; for example, at jobs such as ice cream stands, bussing tables, and catering.