Triton’s Opinion on the New Supreme Court Justice

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Galante stands before a projected image of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Agrella photo

Agrella photo

Agrella photo

Sophia Agrella, Staff Writer

Despite the sexual assault allegations made by Christine Blasey Ford and other women, Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed into the Supreme Court.

Now, about two weeks after confirmation, people remain mixed on whether they think Kavanaugh should be on the Supreme Court. For those who supported the controversial nominee, Kavanaugh’s swearing in signified the end of a long road.

“I’m very happy for him (Kavanaugh),” said Mr. Joseph Galante, “I mean, she (Christine Blasey Ford) didn’t even press charges.”

Kavanaugh was an esteemed lawyer who served as a federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals, prior to becoming an associate Justice of the Supreme Court. In his earlier years, he assisted with various investigations, including the Kenneth Starr investigation of President Bill Clinton, which eventually led to his impeachment. After a bitter two weeks of testimony alleging that the federal judge was unfit to be a Supreme Court justice, Kavanaugh was confirmed on October 12th. He was accused by Christine Blasey Ford of attempting to sexually assault her when they were teenagers back in the early to mid 1980s.

For Democrats and others who opposed Kavanaugh, the incident was a rallying point to try to delay his appointment or block him from the court. For conservatives, they viewed the controversial judge as being a victim of a political plot to derail the appointment. They felt that there was not enough proof to remove him from appointment.

The anger and controversy around Kavanaugh’s appointment was evidenced across the country, including here locally. Even students and teachers within the Triton Regional School District had strong feelings on the matter.

“Kavanaugh should never have been appointed to the Supreme Court,” said senior Jeremy Duford. “I think that the whole case was mishandled and more investigations would have balanced out the final outcome of the situation.”

AP Government teacher Mr. Timothy Coyle said that no matter what side of the debate you’re on – the bitter committee hearings shows how politicized these hearings have become.

“The sanctity of the court should have been the primary objective,” Coyle said.

For now and potentially decades to come, Kavanaugh will be a justice on the U.S. Supreme Court. It’s unclear whether the public will ever truly know what happened that night in the 1980s, but Kavanaugh may remain a polarizing justice.

About the Writer
Sophia Agrella, Staff Writer

My name's Sophia Agrella and I'm a junior at Triton High School. I enjoy covering interesting new stories that people want to hear. I'm a certified nursing...