A closer look at our cafeteria

Erin Bayuk

Students going through the second chance breakfast line

Erin Bayuk, Staff Writer

On the first day of school the cafeteria and its staff introduced the second chance breakfast which gives students the chance to have breakfast if they have either not had it yet or are hungry enough to have a second one. Every morning, between classes, cafeteria staff Andrea Campbell and Stacey Chapman sell breakfast foods at the four second chance breakfast carts around the school.

“It’s easy” said Stacy Campbell. (cafe worker)

The second chance breakfast so far has brought in an average of around 20-42 people a day. The business of each day depends on what is on the menu, but nonetheless, the cafeteria is gaining from all the new business.

This increase in sales has proved to be beneficial to the cafeteria’s profits and has provided hungry students with the food they need. Though it happens quite often through the standard lunch line, the lunch ladies haven’t gotten any specific requests for the second chance breakfast.

When asked if she believed the second chance breakfast was a good change to the cafeteria, Stacy Chapman said “Ya, more business gives us a chance to get more money.”

Some days they bring out smoothies to sell to go with breakfast which come from the smoothie bar. When asked if the smoothie bar was new Andrea (lunch lady) said “No, we had them before but it wasn’t a nutrition part to it.” While they did have a smoothie bar previously, the smoothies did not provide enough nutrition to meet the cafeteria’s standards and regulations.

Each lunch-line has its own recipe book to go with it.  Without a reference, the cafeteria staff would need to remember all the recipes for each area. “We have recipes, we have production sheets…” said Sharon Bolduc. The production sheets are used to monitor the food they sell and the waste left behind. If there is too much food left after selling, they cut down the amount of that specific food the next time they make and sell it.

In order to add to the school lunch menu, Sharon Bolduc ,the food service manager, said “We go to food shows, we go to other schools… you see things some place and you try to tweak it to meet the regulations”

Currently, lunch counts have increases and more people are trying the new food and buying from the second chance breakfast. Though the numbers have increased at this point some people still don’t know about the new additions to the cafeteria.