Should mental health days be an excused absence?

Shannon Lanphear, Staff Writer

Many high school students take days off of school because they are feeling too overwhelmed, or too tired, or even just needing a break from the extra stress school puts on them. Being in high school is difficult and many feel that these mental health days should be excused.

The Triton Voice talked to some students to get their input on this idea.

“I love this idea, I think having an excused absence at least once a month would be ideal and would relieve a lot of stress from many students,” said senior Marisa Soffron.

According to http://www.scarymommy.com/kids-need-mental-health-days/  Annie Reneau shares her personal thoughts on mental health days,

It’s important to teach our children to work hard, to do their best, to strive for excellence, absolutely. But it is equally important to teach them to listen to their mind, body, and soul, and to recognize when they need to take a break. Adults get personal and sick days — why shouldn’t kids get them too?”

“I think a lot adults forget what it’s like to be a teen, we are overwhelmed almost all the time and our bodies and minds need a break sometimes,” senior Sarah Norton said.

She continues, “Of course there comes a point where students use this as an excuse to get out of doing things they don’t want to do, but at the end of the day we’re all still young and trying to figure ourselves out along with balancing sports, school, work, relationships, health, there comes a time where we need to take time for ourselves.”