Out with the old, in with the new

Triton searches for a new boys basketball coach for this upcoming season

Audrey Caron, Staff Writer

After last season’s boys basketball coach resigned, Triton’s athletic program has turned to searching for a new coach for this coming season.
A lot goes into hiring a new coach, when interviewing them and seeing what their intentions will be for the team and their experiences with coaching. Everyone, especially the basketball team is anxious to see who their coach will be.
“Last basketball season was an interesting one, last summer we found out that our longtime coach, Dave Clay, decided to take a new coaching job. Our new coach had never met us before and took awhile to get use to. After the season, Coach Perry decided to resign. Now we face the challenge again of finding a new coach, this time I hope Mr. McInnis and the board finds the perfect fit for us. I hope the coach is someone who motivates us to do our best, gets to know the players and the program well, and cares for their players and the sport,” says Junior Player, Max Mckenzie.
The search for a new coach has begun. The Triton athletic program, in efforts to fill former Coach Perry’s position, has posted on a few different websites that they are looking for a new coach, and then is taking and reviewing the applications.
“We’ll accept applications for two weeks and then what we’ll do is review the applications from there. What we’re looking for is the right fit for the school and student athletes, somebody who is going to be passionate to coach long term here at Triton and somebody who put their athletes first. In two weeks when we review the applications, we’ll look for qualified applicants, with some experience, a college degree and a background in high school coaching,” says Sean McInnis.
“I think the team wants a coach who knows a lot about the game. Someone who can motivate and inspire us to play at our full potential, is hard on us and pushes us to try our hardest but also cares about us as people not just players. I hope the new coach does this for us next season and makes us a better team,” says Junior Player, Jack Tummino.