Migrants Vow to Wait Until Granted Asylum in USA

Members of the migrant caravan at the border, photo courtesy of CNN

Luke Groder, Staff Writer

A migrant caravan from Latin America has journeyed through Mexico all the way to the United States and is protesting for asylum.

After a month long journey, this group has arrived at the border in San Diego, California, looking to be accepted into the United States. The group, which consists of about 50 people, is vowing to stay there until every last one of them is granted asylum. Asylum is protection from a nation to someone who has left their country as a political refugee.

The requirements to be granted asylum are to have reasonable fear of future persecution because of race or religion. The asylum laws for the United States are very complicated; the process usually takes three months.

As of May 4th all but 10 members of the caravan have been admitted into the United States to apply for asylum, according to the Arizona Central newspaper.

After camping out and waiting for days, these people have been given the chance to be granted asylum.  

Triton Voice interviewed Triton history teacher Lisa Herzl about the migrant caravan and the country’s current immigration policies.

“A compelling reason people from all over the world want to come to our country is our freedoms, such as the freedom of speech and protest,” said Herzl. “By protesting they (the caravan) are certainly drawing attention to the issues of immigration, and this could lead to change,” Herzl added.

Approximately 28 percent of all illegal immigrants enter through Mexico. Most illegal immigrants come into the country with visas and never leave. “I don’t think building a wall on the Mexican border will greatly decrease illegal immigration,” said Herzl.

Students have feelings about the migrant caravan, too. “I feel terrible for these people, they have come so far and are not guaranteed asylum,” said Georgetown junior Maeve Sousa.

“There is definitely need for change when it comes to immigration policies, but I do not know what they are,” said Triton senior Grace Tanch.  

“I feel terrible for these people, they have come so far,” said Triton sophomore Fay Paicos.

The migrant caravan has brought up many questions in the United States about immigration. Is change needed? What do we do about illegals already in the country? The country needs to unite around the ideas of immigration, since it is currently so divided.