Students Still Need to make up all snow days

Forget reveals that the year will wrap up by June 26

Winter Scene in town

FreeFoto.com

Winter Scene in town

Jonathan Reilly, Staff Writer

While seniors may not have to worry about making up snow days, all other students are going to be let down about not getting out of school early. Last day for underclassmen will be June 26.

In an open letter to the school district, Superintendent Brian Forget revealed that even though approval was given for a waiver on the requirement for 180 days of school, the requirement for having a set minimum number of hours for learning still exists.

“We did receive approval from commissioner Riley to get a waiver on the total 180-day requirement,” said Forget. “But it did not relax the requirements for the minimum of 900/990 hours of structured learning. Upon further review, my proposal to the commissioner cuts us too close to the minimum hours for the MS/HS. (Middle School and High School).”

The issues did not stop there. Forget also stated that there would be more issues involving tuition based programs and the work day requirements for the school year.

“…Work year requirements, resulting adjustments for tuition based programs… and other complicating factors have led me to the realization that the most prudent way forward is to leave the final day on June 26th, 2018.” said Forget in his letter.

Knowing that this news will be disappointing and complicating to some, Forget offered to work things out with anyone who is frustrated with the final decision.

“I understand that there will be unavoidable conflicts for some of you, and I am happy to discuss them.” said Forget. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t find a way to make an earlier end of the year work! If you have specific questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!”

The news of Forget’s decision has received both support and backlash. Junior Isaiah Webber spoke of his frustration with the late end of the school year.

“I’m frustrated with how this decision turned out because I really wasn’t planning to end school this late!” said Webber. “I was so sure that we were getting out earlier. I made plans that I might have to cancel, now.”

Triton Alumni Sara Luttenbacher shared her thoughts on the superintendent’s decision.

“I’m just glad that this didn’t happen when I went to school there,” said Luttenbacher. “From an outside perspective, I think that if not making up snow days cuts the school too close to the minimum requirements, then it really is what it is. I just feel bad for my friends that are still at Triton that have to stay later into June.”

On a more supportive note, sophomore Sophia Mailhiot talked about how she was fine with whatever outcome as long as the school year did not pass June 30.

“I mean, I get to spend more time with my friends anyway,” said Mailhoit. “I get why people are upset, but if ending the year earlier is going to cause all of these problems then it really isn’t worth it to me. I’m just glad we aren’t right ending right on the 30th.”

Mailhiot also spoke of her optimism that next year will end sooner.

“I mean, we always have next year,” said Mailhoit. “Maybe things will be better then.”