Senior Assassin Game, Terminated.

Katie MacDonald, Staff Writer

If senior assassin is played by students this year, “there will be big consequences such as senior activities being taken away and no walking at graduation” said assistant Principal Kathryn Dawe.

Senior Assassin is a live action game in which players try to eliminate each other with mock weapons such as Sharpies or markers, in order to become the last surviving player, the winner. This game has been played at Triton for the last three years during senior week as a fun game for seniors to play with their classmates before they graduate. However, this year students are not allowed to participate in Senior Assassin.

There are two major reasons why the game will not be allowed at the school this year. The first reason was that the game was too dangerous.

“The game was very dangerous. Kids were trying to get away from the person trying to assassinate them, which resulted in students jumping in cars, and hiding in cars. School would be getting out and students would be running through the parking lot, which was when it got very dangerous,” said Dawe.

Many students agreed that the game was dangerous and some students shared that they would be pushed in the halls due to students who were playing the game running away from the person trying to assassinate them.

“Last year, in the parking lot when kids were leaving for the day, I was pulling out and saw one student almost hit another student because she was trying to assassinate them,” said senior Julia Cordeau.

The second reason that Senior Assassin will not be played this year is because of how disruptive the game was.

“The game became very disruptive to the school because it was played during school hours. Students would run in and out of classrooms which disrupted teachers classes and lessons,” said Dawe.

One student, senior Marlee Smith, shared that she had a class with seniors last year and it became difficult for the teacher to teach because the students could not focus in class due to the game.  

“Last year during Senior Assassin none of the seniors in my math class could focus. They were all worried about someone coming to assassinate them during class, and assassinating kids while they were in class,” said Smith.

In addition to the game being dangerous and disruptive, assistant Principal Ms. Dawe personally feels that the game is not appropriate to play. After the numerous school shootings and gun violence problems the nation has seen this year, she feels that playing a game that supports gun violence is inappropriate.

“After students throughout the nation, and here at our own school, have been trying so hard to stand up against gun violence. I think it would be a bad time and it doesn’t sit well with me to invite such a violent game into our building when we try to provide a safe environment where students feel comfortable,”  said Dawe.

Students agreed with Dawe’s opinion that the game would be inappropriate to play. Senior Evan McParland said, “I wanted to play the game at first, but after thinking about all the school shootings this year I feel that it would be disrespectful to play a game all about killing people in school,” senior Josh Rolfe added “I think we would be promoting gun violence and the game looked really fun to play, but gun violence is something we should never support.”

Senior assassin will not be allowed to be played this year at the school and seniors that try to play the game anyways will face serious consequences. However, Dawe said we could play a class game this year if it is approved.