Dangers of Tanning

Shannon Lanphear, Staff Writer

Triton High School is now deep into prom season! Everyone wants to look his or her best, and for some girls, looking their best includes being tan. Some girls get spray tans and some use tanning beds or self-tanners. They all have their pros and cons.

Using tanning beds seems to be the most popular choice. Some choose not to do spray tans because they believe that they can sometimes look fake and orange. Meanwhile, people with sensitive skin can end up looking blotchy because of the way the substance settles into their skin.

“Spray tans have always worked out great for me. They look natural, and I don’t feel like I’m ruining my skin by getting them done,” said senior Marisa Soffron

However, tanning beds are much more dangerous. The dangers of tanning beds are not a secret. Most people who use tanning beds are also guilty of knowing the dangers.

Users are more prone to getting skin cancer. The beds give off a lot of dangerous UV. It is overall the most dangerous way to get a tan.

Some people might choose this option anyways because most people find it relaxing and comforting, and it comes out to be a much more natural looking tan. According to, https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/preventing-melanoma/why-is-tanning-dangerous there is misleading information giving to customers.

“The tanning industry has tried to tell consumers that vitamin D is necessary and that it should be sought from tanning beds. However, the majority of tanning bulbs actually emit UVA radiation, and UVB radiation is needed for the body to produce vitamin D. That fact is, all necessary vitamin D can be found in a healthy diet or from a vitamin supplement.”

“Tanning is like my therapy. I know it’s bad for my skin, but it’s so relaxing, and I feel so much more confident when I look naturally tan,” senior Tina Gordon said.

My safest option for people who want to tan effectively and safely is to use self-tanners. You have the option of washing it off afterward if it does not turn out how you wanted it to. Also,

tanning beds are a dangerous tanning choice

it is not harmful to your skin and fades away gradually, just like a regular tan.