Stock Market Game

Want to learn how to make tons of money?

Marlee Smith, Staff Writer

The stock market game is played by three of Richard Fisher’s elective classes, including two principles of finance classes and one accounting class. The stock market game is an online game in which high school students across the country have a portfolio in which they invest in stocks and try to make money. This game is a simulation of the stock market. The game starts September 11, 2017 and ends April 20, 2018.

This year, Triton sophomores Joe Luciano and Ben Cambell competed against a total of 1,703 teams in Massachusetts in the “Stock Market Game”, and are currently ranked 1st and 2nd in the state.  

The first year Richard Fisher started this game was in 2008, right around the period of the Recession. Over the last ten years, Fisher has never had one of his students ranked in the top even the top 20.

Now, he has two brilliant students ranked the top 1 and 2 in the state. I interviewed with Fisher about his opinions of the game and how its going so far.

“ I am proud of my students because they are #1 and #2 in the state and have been there for a while. In my previous 10 years of playing this game, the highest my student has ranked was #23. Stated Fisher.

“This game is a great way to get introduced into the stock market. It’s a good way for kids to learn and invest in the stock market. I am proud of my students for being in the top ranks out of all the high schools in Massachusetts. I think it’s fun and educational and we have some students who are way more engaged and into the game than others. It’s a good way to learn how to deal with money and engages students in business.” said Fisher

This is not a true game, it’s really more of a simulation, because your achievement  in the game is based on real companies and the actual stock prices of those companies.  You get a virtual $100,000, invest it in real companies, and gain earnings based on actual stock performance.

This accomplishment has not received much recognition from the school as it is an intellectual competition, but if you put it into perspective, it would be as if 2 students ranked 1st and 2nd in the state for wrestling or swimming. This is an extreme success and these kids should be recognized for their great achievements.

In 2012, Fisher had a student named Henryk Jankowski rank 23rd in the game statewide.  This was highest ranking achieved at Triton until this year, 2018.  That score helped propel Henryk to qualify for the DECA International competition in Florida. Henryk is currently working on his Masters Degree in Accounting at Bentley University, a very highly ranked business school.

Individually Joe made a $82,012 profit and Ben made a $55,231 profit, in less than 8 months.  

“My plan is to ask them to start handling my investments the day after they graduate.” said Fisher.

The Triton Voice interviewed a few students from the Principles of Finance class who are participating in the Stock Market Game.

“I think it’s cool because it shows how I can afford a G-Wagon in the future.” Evan McParland.

“I think it’s good because it teaches you how to handle money and what to invest in and what not to invest in. “ Anthony Particelli.

“I think it’d good and shows you how it’s important to keep your money in the right place.” Matt Godbout.

The game is ending in a few days and hopefully the students gain more profit and become more involved with the stock market.

Stock Market Leaders (as of April 3, 2018)

Accounting

Samantha $12,631
Noah $9,873
Joe $9,187

Principles of Finance F-Period

Ben C. $45,814
Jorge C. $25,717
Issy R. $21,577

Principles of Finance C-Period

Joe L. $82,419
Kyle $16,541
Luc-Danel M. $13,164