Would you Rather School during April Vacation or on Saturdays?

Two more snow days will mean that we will need to fit in more time for school. When will it be and why?

Matt Toppi and Maia Perry, Staff Writers

Starting with the couple of days that school was cancelled due to power outages back in October, Triton has added on an extra six snow days; adding to a total of nine days that have been called off of school this hyear.
All of these snow days are taking away from the legal number of days that a student needs to attend school a year. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, it’s an 180 days average for Massachusetts. There has been talk that if we have three more snow days this year, school could go into April vacation, or potentially be held on Saturday’s.
Superintendent Brian Forget is trying to figure out ways that he can convince the Department of Education to get the underclassmen out of school before the fourth week in June.
“At this point, it probably wouldn’t be possible,” says Forget.
“The Department of Education is CONSIDERING relaxing that requirement (of school days) within reason this year based on how many snow days we have had.”
Four storms have occurred within a three week time span. The most recent storm on March 22 did not cause a cancellation but many students were skeptical of this.
“Keep em comin”, says senior Josh Darcy.
Seniors many think that they are free to go and do not have to make up any days, but in reality if there were to be three more snow days, the seniors would have to participate with the other underclassmen to make up these days during their vacation time or their days off.
There was one really horrible snow day that all students and teachers at Triton High School can remember. The day when teachers and students were sliding through the parking lots to get into school, and some falling and breaking bones.
“I was sliding all over the road. They only made us come because of how many days we’ve had off already. I don’t think that should be a factor in the decision. They will be regretful if someone gets really hurt,” says senior Justin Stanley.
Some people will agree with Stanley and think that if we do have more snow, that the school should play it safe and keep us home. Others are doing the opposite and starting to hope and wish that no more snow comes our way so that we can enjoy our week off in April and keep our weekends to relax.
“The school needs to keep the children safe. I don’t think it matters if a couple Saturday’s or a couple days in a vacation get taken away if that’s how it has to be,” says a senior’s mom, Leanne. “But, I’m sure there won’t be anymore snow this year. At least not enough to cause three more snow days.”
Most parents seem to respect the legal number of days that their children need to stay in school, and understand the consequences of having so many days off of school this year due to the snow.
Underclassmen are stuck in school until June 26th as of now. This is definitely a stretch compared to the past couple of years.
“It stinks that we have to stay in school so late this year. I am hoping Mr. Forget will help all of us out and hopefully we can get out of school a little earlier,” says sophomore Andrew Maiuri.
“It’s all fun and games when you get the call from school saying we don’t have school that day. But when you’re not a senior, all of the days add up and it goes into our summer vacation time.”
Forget says he does not know a lot about what will happen at this point, but he will know more soon.
Contrary to all of the speculation on what will happen pertaining to the end of the school year, it is most likely that nothing will happen and school will end on July 26th. Stay tuned to Triton Voice for any updates on the topic.