TRITON THROUGH A LENS

David Durante and Joshua Rolfe, Senior Staff Writers

“Security, security, security,” Scott Brennan said when asked what persuaded the District to adopt the idea of cameras across campus. After the many school shootings around the country, schools will be taking the next step in protecting their students. Triton High School will be installing new and improved cameras throughout their school in an effort to limit the tragedies that have shocked the nation.

Triton High will be installing cameras throughout its school. Starting this year, the day to day lives of the students of Triton will hopefully be greatly changed due to this new form of spyware.

According to Triton High Principal, Timothy Ruggere, 12 cameras will be installed about the school. A meeting was held on Thursday, March 22, to determine the placement of these cameras. They will be used for safety reasons and also evidence of issues that may have occurred on school grounds.

Mr. Brennan, vice principal, is involved in this project and has information about why these cameras will be installed. “We’ve been trying to get cameras here for around 10 years now,” Brennan started. “For security, it is definitely important and definitely useful,”

At Peabody Middle School, “they have a brand new school, so everything already has cameras,” said Brennan. “In one case a teacher had falsely marked a student absent, causing her to be called to the office. She would have been in trouble but the cameras were proof of her actually walking right into class,” Brennan stated.

Brennan stated that our school is very loose on some things and “we’re all out and about all the time.”

“Cameras won’t stop a shooter from doing what they feel they need to do,” said senior Marc Wood. “I think it will help with security, but a threat will only be neutralized after they have already started shooting, unless there is someone constantly monitoring these cameras to catch them before they go on their rampage.” said Wood.

A major help in understanding what is going on is Triton’s  Director of Technology, Mrs. Debra Jones. “The Triton Tech department will be installing the cameras but the required cabling will be done through an outside contractor,” Jones said.

She also explained how the locations of the cameras will be decided on by the Middle and High school principals. The Elementaries in the District may be implementing this as well.

“ They will be providing the Tech department with their school’s desired locations but the focus for this stage of the project is on main entrances and main hallways,” said Jones.

Although it may seem like this is going into effect now, in reality, the cameras have yet to be decided on, after all, it is a $50,000 project.

“We are testing several brands at this time and will choose the camera brand in the coming weeks. The installation should take place during the end of May or early June of this year,” said Jones.

The school committee is definitely looking forward to this installation, as they’ve been waiting for it for years. This will hopefully benefit Triton High School in safety, security, and for kids who may decide to leave class as well.

Durante and Rolfe picture of a camera.