“Mother Nature’s Gift to the Class of 2018”

Flooding from the Merrimack River on Rings Island in Salisbury

Luke Groder, Staff Writer

This winter has caused many closings and delays in the Triton school district, and they are causing plenty of concern across the high school, except for seniors.

Triton has had nine school cancellations this year, along with a few delayed starts. These closings have been from a wind storm back in October, and strong snow storms that caused multi-day power outages and severe flooding.

“This certainly ranks up there as one of the highest amount of snow days that I can remember in my 23 years in the district,” said Triton Superintendent Brian Forget.

Triton students’ last day of school is Monday, June 26th. Although this day is very late in June, school is allowed to go all the way up to the last day of June. “At this time we are taking a wait and see approach,” said Forget.

Right now there is no talk of Saturday school or cutting April vacation. “The school committee will take up the discussion when we will have a definitive answer on how many snow days there are, and make any determinations in regards to use of Saturdays or vacations,” said Forget.

Seniors are very happy about these days off, since they do not have to be made up. “This is a great year to be a senior, I love having all these days off,” said Triton senior Emily Tucker. “There is not a requirement for seniors to make up snow days. As long as we originally planned to have seniors have no less than 168 days, we are fine to keep graduation on June 2nd,” said Forget.

On the other hand, underclassmen and teachers are not happy about all these days that they have to make up. Teachers are under lots of stress since they must meet the curriculum. Especially teachers that have AP classes where the nine days cannot be made up.

Triton sophomore Fay Paicos said “I really do not want to be here until late June when it is nice out, but I cannot do anything about it.”

Unfortunately, the weather is out of everyone’s control.