Senior Privileges

Vasilios Karamitsios, Staff Writer

This segment features some opinions of the idea of senior privileges. Several of the staff from our school and also opinions on those students who are outside of the Triton Community shared information on these Privileges.

Mr. Ruggere

Mr. Ruggere, principal at Triton said information on the matter. “When I was hired there were no senior privileges, and most of the places I’ve worked at did not have any,” Ruggere said. “I believe a privilege I’ve heard of is leaving campus for lunch which could be considered if it were not a safety issue,” he stated.

Ruggere proceeds to tell us where this can affect us. “There isn’t a whole lot of time during the school day for any extra privileges,” explains Mr. Ruggere. But when I asked about practical ideas we could have he expressed how he felt on the matter. “I would need some ideas from seniors of what they would want, I would be willing to listen to any ideas,” said Ruggere.

The principal also explained where the seniors still really do have privileges although there were some taken away years ago.

“You guys have senior week, senior day, prom, you get out way earlier than the rest of the high school and you don’t have to make up the snow days,” he said.

When he brought up all of our privileges he also brought up last years senior cook out. When asked he said, “The seniors last year introduced the cook out which I approved and is now something seniors can do.” Last years seniors did a senior-prank that involved everyone leaving class to hang outside for the day. He explained that because the ‘prank’ was not disrespectful in any manner and polite even to teachers to come outside that he thought it was great. So for all of the seniors, be aware, we are approved to do a parking lot cookout if we want to this year.

Kim VanTwuyver

When new librarian, Mrs. VanTwuyver, was questioned about senior privileges there was a similar outlook to what Ruggere had to say.

“I think you guys have a good amount (of privileges) already, you guys leave early at the end of the year, usually a Halloween Parade, and senior week which is cool,” said VanTwuyver.

Questioned about also how to or how they usually keep the seniors is line to grant them these privileges without them being taken advantage of she shared some information. “Usually chaperones are there and including principals to keep the rules in place,” she said.

“No other schools I worked at had these senior privileges, but when I went to High School we had some privileges and it was basically the same as you guys now,” said Mrs. VanTwuyver.

Although the staff at Triton have good reasons to why we don’t have extra senior privileges. It seems apparent that the senior students believe they deserve and could handle more senior privileges.

Scott Brennan

Mr. Brennan, vice-principal at Triton explained his past knowledge on senior privileges.

“There were a couple senior rooms that I recall,” said Mr. Brennan. “There was a senior room in the library. It was monitored by a teacher of course. But I am not to sure why it was shut down.”

So it seems as if Triton did have certain senior privileges prior to them being taken away. But do other schools have senior privileges?

John Currie

“At the prep we have multiple senior privileges,” said senior John Currie who attends St. John’s Preparatory School. “We have many senior specific lounges where we can relax and do homework. Also, we have the senior privilege to leave school early if we have a free period last.”

At the school Currie attends he is able to utilize his senior privileges because all the students in his school haven’t abused their senior privileges. However if at Triton we were given privileges what would they be? And would we obey the rules around them?

Cameron Willey

“If I could have one senior privilege here at Triton it would be to be able to leave during studies and lunches,” said senior Cameron Willey. “I believe we would be able to obey the rules around this by having to check in and sign in on time when we return from our studies or lunches,”

Similar to Willey, senior Evan McParland has a few other suggestions for senior privileges.

Evan McParland

“I believe that we should be able to have senior lounges just like we use too,” said McParland. “If we were required to have a teacher monitor the lounge then I believe we would be able to obey the rules of the teacher. We wouldn’t be disrespectful at all. All we want is a place specific for seniors.”

So it seems as if the Triton seniors would like senior privileges and that they would obey the rules behind them. Maybe this will change the faculty of Triton’s opinions on possible new senior privileges.