Students May be Hit in Multiple States

Nathaniel Schmuch, Staff Writer

Corporal punishment is wrong in many ways. It doesn’t help kids learn anything really. All that it does is make kids mad.
In elementary schools kids very often have anger management issues due to the fact that they don´t know how to manage it. When you hit said children all that will be done is that they will become more angry and think that it is unfair overall.
When in elementary schools and generally in the school system you are taught right and wrong. One thing that you are told is to keep your hands to yourself and not to hit people. When older you are told to not hit anyone because it is a crime. So when spanking children what is being shown is that what you were taught is wrong and you may hit people. Or you’re a hypocrite. In massachusetts assault and battery is a crime that is very punishable. For assault and battery you may serve up to two and a half years in jail. When you are teaching kids that hitting people is fine by hitting them you make them more likely to be aggressive.
Abuse is a severe problem with America and can mess children up a lot by creating mental problems with them. If teachers are allowed to hit children whose to say that they will not create damage of the same variety. An article released on the American Psychological Association’s website said “You get worse outcomes from corporal punishment than from alternative disciplinary techniques only when it is used more severely or as the primary discipline tactic.”
Now people might say that this is not a big deal but it honestly is it helps control children and then you might be able to get them to do responsible things down the line. This is not the case. Yes what is given is a show of power but in the sense of the real world when someone gives a show of power it is usually a dictator. What you are doing to kids is what a dictator does to their people. That is not something that should be done in schools.