Smaller Budget, Bigger Classes

Julia Plummer, Staff Writer

The buzz about the 2018-2019 school year budget has been the talk within the district as well as surrounding towns and schools.

On April 30th, 2018, two of the three towns within the Triton District (Newbury and Rowley) will be voting on whether or not they want to pay the extra money in property tax to help the district have enough money that is expected for the upcoming school year. Salisbury will be voting in May. The If the vote doesn’t go in favor of the district, administration already has plans for what they could do to save money.

One of these ideas is to make class sizes bigger. This will be in result of teachers being cut.

¨We have different scenarios depending on whether or not the override will pass,¨ said Principal Mr. Ruggere. “If it (the override) doesn’t pass, we will have to make cuts, and certain class sizes will go up,” he said.

Ruggere is not sure on details about which classes will be cut. He says it all depends on what they have for the budget.

This year, Ms. Toni Macdonald-Fein has changed the way her ceramics 1 and ceramics 2 classes are set up. She has blended the two so that in one period, she has ceramics 1 students as well as ceramics 2 students, which make her classes larger.

“I do find it difficult sometimes just because my students are on different levels of their skills,” said Fein. “It’s nice to have the ceramics 2 students there to help the beginners, but the ceramics 2 students are also still learning. It’s hard to help everyone when they need it,” she said.

Some seniors for the 2018-2019 schools year are upset about this possible change.

“I don’t mind having some big classes, but I think that when I’m in a smaller class it’s easier to get help from the teacher and not get distracted by other people in my class,” said junior Caitlyn Chaisson.

Others, wouldn’t mind the change.

“I don’t think it will change anything,” said junior Maddie Fecteau. “I think if I ever feel like I’m not getting enough help during class, I can always stay after school if I’m really struggling,” said Fecteau.

Many are hoping the override will pass, and no changes or cuts will not have to be made.