Students do have freedom of speech and expression on school grounds, to a certain extent

Shannon Lanphear, Staff Writer

Everyone in the United States has their First Amendment right to freedom of speech, and this right should always be protected. In 1986, students who attended Des Moines schools wore armbands as a protest of the Vietnam war. These students should have the right to express how they feel about something that they did not believe in.

The principals at the Des Moines schools created a policy that if any student were to wear an armband, he or she would be asked to remove it. If they refused, their action would lead to suspension. As a result of this policy, three students were suspended and they then sued the school for what they believed was a violation of their rights. The court sided with the students. They felt that there should be freedom of speech in school, but only to a certain extent, and that simply wearing armbands was not reaching that extent.

Students and young people have a voice that is different than of adults. They see things differently, and younger people are often less trusted and found to be less listened to, compared to older and more experienced adults. Teaching kids at a young age that expressing their feelings and opinions (in a way that is not harmful to anyone) is not “okay” and you can get punished for doing so, this can mistake students for feeling that their opinions are not as valid and are less important. This can cause trouble as they grow up, finding it hard to express their feelings, and always thinking they are wrong or simply not worthy of being heard.

However, wearing these armbands and protesting an on-going war can cause problems among students, due to having different beliefs, especially if this is found on a personal level. The administration might also argue that it can be distracting. Instead of listening and paying attention in class, their attention can be focused on the wrong thing.

If students are getting distracted that easily then there is more a problem with them than the student wearing what they want. The conflict

Mary Beth and John Tinker holding their black armbands, photo by National Constitution Center.

between students because of different beliefs is normal. It is bound to happen and something that will continue to happen as they grow up. It is something people should learn how to deal with responsibly. Preventing kids from freedom of speech and expression will only make the problem worse in the long run.