Ingraham V. Wright 1977

Watch your back. Literally.

Marlee Smith, Staff Writer

James Ingraham received too harsh of a punishment for his actions.

Ingraham, an eighth grade student in Florida was given a punishment of by a paddle by the principal Willie Wright. Ingrahams teacher claimed he was being rowdy in the school auditorium and earned 5 swats by a paddle. But, Ingraham pleaded guilty to his disorderly actions and received another 20 swats by the principal.

His punishment was too cruel and violated his eighth amendment rights on the ban of “cruel and unjust punishments”. Also by law, he is allowed to be heard and it requires prior notice to be punished according to the fourteenth amendment which states, “No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws”.

He received 20 swats and got bad bruises. He had to seek medical attention for his injuries inflicted by the principal and kept him out of school for ten days. His punishment was too harsh, especially for a teenager.

Although Ingraham said he hadn’t done anything wrong and refused to be punished, even though a teacher accused him of being rowdy in the school auditorium he should have received 20 seats by the principal. Five swats by the paddle should have been enough of a punishment. Twenty swats was too excessive and not right.